1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

First HbA1c since T1 Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by [email protected], May 12, 2022.

1. M@

[email protected] Type 1 · Member

My HbA1c at diagnosis with type 1 was 11.3% (100 mmol/mol) and after 6 months of being on insulin, it has dropped to 5.2% (33 mmol/mol):)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well done on your amazing Hba1c.
    Please take care
    - lowering levels too fast can lead to complications
    - too much focus on the perfect blood sugar can lead to diabetes burnout. Don't ignore the rest of your life
    - there is often a concern that a low HbA1C can only be achieved with lots of hypos, Hopefully this is not the case but TIR is just as important ... if not more so

• Like Like x 2
  3. M@

[email protected] Type 1 · Member

My endocrinologist have been monitoring the lowering of levels, so all is good there.
    I wear a Libre half the time and do plenty of finger pricks the rest of the time and there's definitely no hypos happening :)
    Thanks for the advice:)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Braye

Braye · Member

My A1C started out at 12.3 Sept 29, 2022. It started coming down immediately. Self testing it came down to 4.3 in 7 months with a 70lb weight loss. It has risen slightly now that I don't try to control my calories as strictly. A week or so ago it was 4.8. Now at the doctor's office it is a 5.1

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Braye

Braye · Member

I was told to only test a couple times a week but I am a fanatic now. I go through 50 strips in a matter of a week or less. It keeps me accountable. I want a Libre 3 or Dexcom 7 but I can't even get an older version let alone the new version which won't be available in the US probably for at least another year. I will have to pay out of pocket but since I am buying test strips frequently it won't be much difference.

6. Zhnyaka

Zhnyaka Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Good job!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Julio9

Julio9 Type 1 · Member

I am so happy for you!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook