First holiday

Humungus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys I go to Portugal In 3 weeks am I OK to take my insulin humalog and solostar on the plane is there a certain amount I can take do I need a letter from the doctor or my repeat prescription will do I'll b taking my monitor too do I need to yell anyone please help

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

D

Deleted Account

There should be no problem taking your insulin and diabetes paraphernalia on the plane.
It is recommended to have a letter from your doctor. In nearly 15 years, flying about 8 times a year, I have only been asked for the letter once but I wouldn't risk have the stuff that keeps me alive taken away.
I always take twice as much of everything than I need: twice as much insulin, needles, lancets, test strips, hypo treatment (but not liquids like Lucozade) and, if you have them spare needles.
I highly recommend ensuring you check your travel insurance covers diabetes - it is the thing that is most likely to go wrong.
And, most importantly, have a great time.

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys I go to Portugal In 3 weeks am I OK to take my insulin humalog and solostar on the plane is there a certain amount I can take do I need a letter from the doctor or my repeat prescription will do I'll b taking my monitor too do I need to yell anyone please help

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Yes, you can take insulin but always keep it in your hand luggage never inthe hold as it can freeze and become damaged. Take twice as much of everything, as Helensaramay advises.

Get an undated letter from your GP so you can use it again in future.

I declare what I'm carrying at check in (because obviously you'll have sharps). I then get my letter out and declare it again at security.

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told that if I ever go abroad that I would need to contact the hospital and get a customs letter written up to take with me explaining my need for carrying sharps onto the plane, and to make sure that they are not taken away from me at security. As I bet there will be one day where I am challenged on this as I, like many others here, look perfectly fine and not ill.

stellson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For 19 years i travelled with my pens, needles etc and never had a problem... I now have a pump and UK security were great but spain was a bit more difficult, I got taken away for extra checks etc which I can understand having a device attached to my body but I also carry a card

Sent from my SM-G903F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have been told that if I ever go abroad that I would need to contact the hospital and get a customs letter written up to take with me explaining my need for carrying sharps onto the plane, and to make sure that they are not taken away from me at security. As I bet there will be one day where I am challenged on this as I, like many others here, look perfectly fine and not ill.

It doesn't have to be a hospital letter as your gp surgery can provide one too, however gp surgery's do tend to charge for letters where as hospital diabetes clinic may not.

The JDRF has some excellent advice for people with type 1 who are travelling abroad, here's a link:

https://jdrf.org.uk/living-with-type-1/everyday-life/travelling/

evj95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@noblehead I was told to contact the hospital as all my appointments are through them and not my gp surgery? which I think is fairly reasonable. My gp pratice has quiet a few doctors that do not like me anyways - Took 3 days for one doctor to do a sicknote for me! So I tend to avoid them as much as possible, would rather go to the hospital where I know my care team is more interested in me than completing box ticking exercises.

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@noblehead I was told to contact the hospital as all my appointments are through them and not my gp surgery? which I think is fairly reasonable. My gp pratice has quiet a few doctors that do not like me anyways - Took 3 days for one doctor to do a sicknote for me! So I tend to avoid them as much as possible, would rather go to the hospital where I know my care team is more interested in me than completing box ticking exercises.

100% yes, your far better off under the care of a hospital diabetes clinic than your gp surgery.