first nurse visit after diagnosis

S

serenity648

I am feeling a bit apprehensive about my first visit to the diabetic nurse on Wednesday. She wants me to take a record of everything I have eaten the past week to see where I am going wrong.

I have been reading lots of stuff on here about how the NHS suggestions wont work. How do I tackle this? Do I smile, nod and then go home and do my own thing?

I am not very good at going against what medical people say.

what else is likely to happen? If she tells me off for being overweight, i may well cry.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Smiling and nodding is just fine if that is what works for you. Ultimately, you control what goes in your mouth - and the DN is unlikely to argue with results. You can monitor what results you're getting & adjust accordingly so that what you eat is either compliant, or creates good result. Don't let her fat shame you. :mad:

My doctor is fully behind my reduced carbohydrate diet (although he had not done the math to understand how much fat that meant I would be consuming). So by the time he was looking at daily fat consumption, he could see the results in my sig line.from my 5 month check-up. His words, "Keep on doing what you're doing."

S

serenity648

I am supposed to be making an appointment for my 3 month follow up blood test and to see the diabetic nurse again. I dont want to go. I am supposed to have lost 10kg by now, and have only lost 3.5kg. I cant face being told off or told i havent been trying. I am in a fragile state at the moment with my anxiety, and i dont want to give her the satisfaction of seeing me cry.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I am supposed to be making an appointment for my 3 month follow up blood test and to see the diabetic nurse again. I dont want to go. I am supposed to have lost 10kg by now, and have only lost 3.5kg. I cant face being told off or told i havent been trying. I am in a fragile state at the moment with my anxiety, and i dont want to give her the satisfaction of seeing me cry.

Hi. I don't want to be brutal, but well..this is up to you more than you think. You can let a nurse bully you (God knows my wife is one so I do), or you can recognise that he/she is there to help you and not the other way around. Any nurse who makes you feel bad is not very good at their job. Some are excellent. I wouldn't say smile and nod; I'd say ask what you want answers to, drive the meeting. Losing weight is hardly a walk in the park, so you haven't quite met a target - big deal - it is just that a TARGET. You have lost nearly 4 kg and that's a start! Do you really think you will be given grief by her? If she does give you a hard time...seriously you do have to (for your own piece of mind) tell her that's not helping. I have found in life, that rather than argue or get all defensive or aggressive, best policy is to quietly say something short like that, sit back and do not engage further until it's acknowledged in some way. Reasons to drive things yourself - a] its empowering b] you get what you need (which is what she is supposed to be doing). I agree with the post above though...my doctor was very receptive to me once I TOLD him, I was going to try cutting carbs to see how that worked for me - I didn't ask if it was ok! the more you can show you know what you are doing, the better. And if she is critical of it...who cares? If my plumber is cheeky to me..I tell him where to go..a nurse is just a nurse..yeah? Except my wife obviously - she'd kill me...shhhh. You..you...are the one that counts! It's your body. Hope it all goes ok....absolutely don't avoid it! Drive it and grow.