First run since diagnosis of type 1

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys - ventured out on my first run since I was diagnosed as type 1 now that my BG levels are consistently in the 4-8 range, bar a few hypos here and there.

Here is my readings from the run... I had waited three and half hours after breakfast so that the 4 units of novorapid had been used up.

Before run, BG levels were 4.8 so I took 150ml of lucozade on board before I set off.
After 10 minutes of steady running my BG levels were 6.0
After 20 minutes of running and short cool down they were 5.6

Checked 30 minutes later, they were dropping to 4.9 (12:30) so reduced my bolus by 1 unit to three units and had 2 sandwiches, an apple and some oatcakes.
30 minutes after this (13:00) I hypo'd as dropped to 3.6 so kept monitoring closely after this and here are readings:

30 minutes after hypo (13:30) - 6.5
At 14:30 4.6
At 15:30 5.0 - had coffee and short walk into town.

Nice to finally be out running again, it seems that my sugars suddenly drop an hour after the exercise and guess just needs more trial and error to see what works best. Should I have more lucozade on board pre-running and that might prevent the hypo?

Andy

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey guys - ventured out on my first run since I was diagnosed as type 1 now that my BG levels are consistently in the 4-8 range, bar a few hypos here and there.

Here is my readings from the run... I had waited three and half hours after breakfast so that the 4 units of novorapid had been used up.

Before run, BG levels were 4.8 so I took 150ml of lucozade on board before I set off.
After 10 minutes of steady running my BG levels were 6.0
After 20 minutes of running and short cool down they were 5.6

Checked 30 minutes later, they were dropping to 4.9 (12:30) so reduced my bolus by 1 unit to three units and had 2 sandwiches, an apple and some oatcakes.
30 minutes after this (13:00) I hypo'd as dropped to 3.6 so kept monitoring closely after this and here are readings:

30 minutes after hypo (13:30) - 6.5
At 14:30 4.6
At 15:30 5.0 - had coffee and short walk into town.

Nice to finally be out running again, it seems that my sugars suddenly drop an hour after the exercise and guess just needs more trial and error to see what works best. Should I have more lucozade on board pre-running and that might prevent the hypo?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Congratulations on getting back into running! Take a look at this video - it might help you better understand what happens with exercise and T1D.

By looking at your stats, it suggests to me that you had a fair bit of circulating insulin when you began running. Because of this, the sharp BG rise you would normally expect to see from lucozade has been evened out.

Your body can fuel itself from it's own glycogen stores within your muscles for a good 20 - 30 mins, so really you needn't take any carbs to fuel up-front UNLESS you have circulating insulin. Infused or injected insulin lasts for up to four hours in the body, whereas naturally secreted insulin lasts only a matter of minutes. For someone with a working pancreas, their insulin production gets switched off with exercise because it can cause a rapid fall in blood glucose levels. If you ate carbs an hour or so before exercise, then you will still have insulin circulating which you can't switch off. Consequently it's always best to avoid exercising around meal times (well, consider avoiding exercise for at least three hours after a bolus)

TeamBG have announced they're joining the Harrow Parkrun on 01 August. If you can come along it would be great to meet you - there will be an opportunity to chat/share with others and discuss exercise & D over tea and cakes afterwards!
www.teambloodglucose.com

Reactions: 2 people