First self-test

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi friends,
I've been diagnosed as type II since the start of October- (my fasting venous test was 13,2), and I finally got an Accu-chek tester (performa) today.
Anyway, I did the test 2 hours after my evening meal; it said I was 4.9. That seems better than I had expected, but I'd appreciate any opinions on whether it's of notable significance, or whether it might have been some sort of fluke. Could I even still be pre-diabetic, or in some sort of remission?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)

What did you eat, and what meds are you on? (sorry if you have mentioned meds on another thread, but I can't remember or missed it)

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh, yes, sorry: I forgot all that context! I'm not on any meds for diabetes, but I take one Rosuvastatin a day for my triglycerides, and I ate broccoli and a steamed mackerel fillet at 7:30 pm 'here time', then did the test at 9:30.

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, mackerel and broccoli make a fab low carb meal, so I would expect a nice low reading from it. Definitely one to keep in your menu repertoire :) And a very good start! :)

As a useful technique, which will add to your ability to gauge blood glucose control, try testing before eating, and then do the 2 hr test after.

This gives you a starting point with which to assess exactly what that particular food does to you.
Of course, it also doubles the cost of your testing programme, but hey, that is the way the low carb cookie crumbles, I am afraid ;)

It is generally advised (here on the forum) that you are aiming for no more than a 2mmol/l rise from a meal.
Any more than that, and you would consider adjusting portion sizes, or changing the food choices.

In your mackerel example, a result of 4.9 strongly suggests that the food did NOT raise you by more than 2.
Brilliant result.
:D

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks, and thanks for the tip on testing beforehand-I didn't know about the 2mmol rise guideline, so I'll watch out for that.

Reactions: Brunneria

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Fish is always good - no carbs and good omegas!