1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

First self-test

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Geordie_P, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi friends,
    I've been diagnosed as type II since the start of October- (my fasting venous test was 13,2), and I finally got an Accu-chek tester (performa) today.
    Anyway, I did the test 2 hours after my evening meal; it said I was 4.9. That seems better than I had expected, but I'd appreciate any opinions on whether it's of notable significance, or whether it might have been some sort of fluke. Could I even still be pre-diabetic, or in some sort of remission?

2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

:)

What did you eat, and what meds are you on? (sorry if you have mentioned meds on another thread, but I can't remember or missed it)

3. Geordie_P

Oh, yes, sorry: I forgot all that context! I'm not on any meds for diabetes, but I take one Rosuvastatin a day for my triglycerides, and I ate broccoli and a steamed mackerel fillet at 7:30 pm 'here time', then did the test at 9:30.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, mackerel and broccoli make a fab low carb meal, so I would expect a nice low reading from it. Definitely one to keep in your menu repertoire :) And a very good start! :)

As a useful technique, which will add to your ability to gauge blood glucose control, try testing before eating, and then do the 2 hr test after.

This gives you a starting point with which to assess exactly what that particular food does to you.
    Of course, it also doubles the cost of your testing programme, but hey, that is the way the low carb cookie crumbles, I am afraid ;)

It is generally advised (here on the forum) that you are aiming for no more than a 2mmol/l rise from a meal.
    Any more than that, and you would consider adjusting portion sizes, or changing the food choices.

In your mackerel example, a result of 4.9 strongly suggests that the food did NOT raise you by more than 2.
    Brilliant result.
    :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Geordie_P

Thanks, and thanks for the tip on testing beforehand-I didn't know about the 2mmol rise guideline, so I'll watch out for that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

I don't think I have ever had a 4.9 after eating.. thats really good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nicksu

Nicksu Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fish is always good - no carbs and good omegas!

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook