First three month check

Lollygaggle

I will post and update on my situation.

In November I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and put on 1000mg of metformin per day . My hba1c was 85 , and thanks to the advice on this forum I started a high fat ,very low carb diet . I have not eaten bread,grains,rice,pasta, root vegetables , pulses , or anything with sugar in it since the end of October.

I have lost four stone , have a bit to go , have upped my exercise considerably and my blood tests today reveal my hba1c to be 38 which is normal , not even prediabetic.

The surgery offered to take me off metformin but I have decided to stay on for another 3 months as I want my morning glucose to come down a bit more and make sure my blood glucose levels are stable. Then we will see how things stay once my diabetes is controlled with diet alone. I believe diabetes only goes into remission and am reconciled that I will be "carb intolerant" for the most part for life .

Thank you for all the advice and encouragement , I think myself fortunate that my diabetes , at the moment, has responded to lifestyle changes that have not been as difficult as I might have thought.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done @Lollygaggle , fantastic results! For what it’s worth I did similarly and nearly three years later I’m still on Metformin! Lol!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rachox , have you chosen to stay on metformin , or did your blood sugars dictate you stay on?

My GP has let me decide. My HbA1c has been in the 30s since Sept ‘17. I tolerate Metformin well and get no side effects. There are believed to be other benefits from it too, here’s an article about it:
https://www.everydayhealth.com/type...ts-why-they-likely-go-beyond-type-2-diabetes/
Just another point I did reduce the dose for 3 months a year or so back, but my weight loss stalled while my HbA1c went up from 34 to 35, which is neither here nor there. I went back up to the original dose and have stayed there since and lost a little more weight. I am happy with my current diet and don’t want to compromise it anymore from reducing or stopping Metformin, in order to maintain my HbA1cs in the 30s.