First time: cauliflower rice!

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hello everyone,

I finally have bought cauliflower rice to prepare for tomorrow. I found it with fresh vegetables in the supermarket.

I will prepare it with some soya sauce, leak and chicken but if you have other tasty suggestions I would love to hear them

Reactions: JenniferG

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make cauliflower fritters with it . It's easy and really tasty
Just add grated cheddar and an large egg , onion chopped into tiny pieces and make like a dough mixing all together.
Then fry a table spoonful flattened out in frying pan in a drop of butter or olive oil until brown then turn over and fry other side . Delicious !!

B

badcat

I like to make fried cauli rice - I fry some garlic, mushrooms, spring onions, red pepper, chopped leek and tenderstem broccoli or green beans in butter until softened. Add soy sauce and a bit of chilli paste then the cauli rice. Fry covered until the cauliflower is cooked, sprinkle in some mixed seeds ( I like the munchy seeds chilli mix) and fry a little longer then serve. I sometimes put an egg in and omit the seeds

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TIANDB

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@maria030660 . One word of warning.
I also purchased some cauliflower rice like yourself. Used half and decided to save the rest for a later date.
2 days later me and my wife were turning the kitchen upside down to find where the most horrendous smell was coming from.
Eventually a sniff in the fridge and then the cauliflower rice confirmed the source of the "aroma ":yuck:
Just a friendly warning.:):):)

Reactions: Freema

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make cauliflower fritters with it . It's easy and really tasty
Just add grated cheddar and an large egg , onion chopped into tiny pieces and make like a dough mixing all together.
Then fry a table spoonful flattened out in frying pan in a drop of butter or olive oil until brown then turn over and fry other side . Delicious !!
That sounds great. Will try it.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also purchased some cauliflower rice like yourself. Used half and decided to save the rest for a later date.
2 days later me and my wife were turning the kitchen upside down to find where the most horrendous smell was coming from.
Eventually a sniff in the fridge and then the cauliflower rice confirmed the source of the "aroma ":yuck:
It doesn't last long.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like mine not too soft so I part cook the cauli rice in the microwave then leave it to cool and dry out a bit in a bowl on the worktop whilst I slice some leek and shallot or onion and dice some pepper and mushrooms (or whatever you can find in the fridge, aubergine, courgette, a few frozen or fresh peas).
Fry the shallot/onion and leek and some garlic in butter then bung in the other chopped bits, turn the heat down, season well and cover for a couple of minutes. (I add a tablespoon or so of water too depending on whether there are any veg which will give off liquid), when the veg are almost done add the cauli rice and heat through.

Also nice served with burgers or sausage if you add some tomato puree and tikka paste when you are doing the veg.

maria030660

Dislikes
Sounds all very tasty! I only bought a small packet so no leftovers;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds all very tasty! I only bought a small packet so no leftovers;)

I tend to cook my cauli rice in a wok, so it's super-fast. It takes longer to create it in the food processor than to cook it, but it's worth it.

In terms of flavours, I tend to use whatever seasoning and spices go with whichever protein I'm having with it.

If I'm doing it alongsied a curry, say, I'll use Pilau seasoning. I do what I call Pretendy Paella For the Pretendy Paella, I tend to stir-fry the onion, cooked meat and chuck in the seasonings. I tend not to use saffron with cauli rice as it doesn't really have time to flavour and colour up the "rice", just turning the over in the wok for a couple of minutes, to yellow it up, so I'll add a little turmeric. Provided the usual seasoning is in there, it just works.

Similarly I do Pretendy Kedgeree, or for a stir fry I use GF soy sauce and lime, or GF soy sauce and some chilli.

The cauli rice is like a blank canvas. My OH was more sceptical than a man form the land of the sceptics, but he rather enjoys it, having tried it several times.

Cauli rice is extremely cheap when home produced, so just experiment and see what you like.

Edited to remove a raft of typos, and not a drop had passed my lips!

Last edited:
Reactions: TIANDB and geefull

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I have just stir fried some cauliflower rice with chilli and garlic and had it with marrow and tomato curry, taka dahl and a raita made from cucumber, coriander, mint and Greek yoghurt. Absolutely delicious!

maria030660

Dislikes
The cauliflower rice was a success, I made a Mexican version with chicken, mushrooms, a pepper and a leek....yummy

Reactions: Mbaker

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I tend to find that the store-bought pre-riced cauliflower goes off really quickly. If you pulverise a head of cauliflower in a food processor it seems to last a bit longer (plus you get more servings)

maria030660

Dislikes
I will have a go at it next time, I bought a cauliflower for shredding

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made a curry tonight, to accompany it I cut a cauliflower into florets and put in an oven dish, sprinkled with oil and cumin, baked for 40 mins. Much better than imitation rice.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I made "rice" with broccoli & cauliflower. I added garlic, lime juice and some grated rind and fried it for a few minutes. I was very nice.....considering I don't really like either of those veg.

Reactions: Alison Campbell