First time drinking with T1 tonight. Odd readings.

Leight0n

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was only diagnosed a week ago but my levels have come down from 4 days of double figures to the last 3 being consistently where they should be. With that in mind I decided to have a few drinks this evening whilst at home.

I'm on 14 Lantus and 8 Novorapid for breakfast and 6 before lunch and evening meal.

I tested my bloods before my evening meal and it was 6.4. Tested 2 hours later and it was 6.4 still. I had chicken, some oven chips, salad, a slice of the kids pizza (small but probably 20g carbs worth!) and a bottle of beer!!?? I was a bit surprised so did a control test and the machine is working fine. Since then I've had 2 spiced rums and Coke Zero. Tested at 22:40 and it was 5.2? Had another beer and another slice of pizza and it is 5.3? It's not increased at all really.

I know that we all react differently but I was expecting double figures when testing?

Thoughts?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was only diagnosed a week ago but my levels have come down from 4 days of double figures to the last 3 being consistently where they should be. With that in mind I decided to have a few drinks this evening whilst at home.

I'm on 14 Lantus and 8 Novorapid for breakfast and 6 before lunch and evening meal.

I tested my bloods before my evening meal and it was 6.4. Tested 2 hours later and it was 6.4 still. I had chicken, some oven chips, salad, a slice of the kids pizza (small but probably 20g carbs worth!) and a bottle of beer!!?? I was a bit surprised so did a control test and the machine is working fine. Since then I've had 2 spiced rums and Coke Zero. Tested at 22:40 and it was 5.2? Had another beer and another slice of pizza and it is 5.3? It's not increased at all really.

I know that we all react differently but I was expecting double figures when testing?

Thoughts?

Leight0n - I'm not T1, so will tag @himtoo , whom I think is online. My guess might be the alcohol is affecting the numbers.

When drinking alcohol the liver prioritises metabolising that ahead of foods, so can slow/impact on the readings, but Himtoo will likely explain more, or correct me if I' wrong.

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A bottle of beer ha ha ha is that all?? I drank 3 (or more)x 750ml bottles of normal beer basically everyday since 2011

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pizza and beer mmmm yummy!!! Although it's been years since I ate pizza.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thoughts?

Leight0n, it looks like Himtoo has gone off line.

You may find your blood numbers go up some time after your impressive readings, so you might want to keep an eye on that.

I wouldn't comment on insulin as I really don't have the knowledge/experience to do that.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Although alcohol does tend to reduce your sugars somewhat, I think it's mostly a honeymoon phenomenon.

When a newly diagnosed T1 starts taking insulin, the remaining beta cells in the pancreas get some much-needed "rest" and soon are capable of producing much more insulin than they have been. I think that's what's going on here.

By the way, this is the ideal time to switch to a low-carb diet. Going low-carb and getting plenty of exercise tends to substantially prolong the life of your remaining beta cells. And that means diabetes is a lot easier; your dosages do not need to be as accurate because your beta cells help smooth things out. But obviously a low-carb diet isn't for everyone.