First time using meter

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well first time this evening using meter
Levels are 6.6 before meal 9.7 hour later then 7.3 2 hours later....are these ok?

Many thanks
If those were my numbers, I would not be happy. My doctor and the American Diabetes Association (ADA) would be - but I want my blood glucose controlled (i.e. normal), not at some elevated levels that the above critters have declared won't kill me. At least not right away.

The formal rule from the ADA and my doctor is below 10 by 2 hours after the first bite. You hit that.

My target is below 7.7 at all times. A sustained average of 7.7 is the level at which a number of studies have documented chronic kidney disease and some of the other long term consequences of diabetes. My goal is to avoid all of that, so I strive for normal levels: AM fasting & pre-meal - 5.6 or below, post meal (at any time) below 7.7, 2+ hours post-meal - returned to around 5.6.

You'll have to decide for yourself whether to aim for the standard medical measures - or truly normal blood glucose. :)

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Gracie2007
For a first time testing they are very good. It took me months to get that far so well done. Yes I do agree that to get them as normal as possible is what a lot of us aim for, but for a first testing. The 2 hour reading is the one normally used and that rise was only 0.7 so well done.

Reactions: Prem51

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I do agree that those numbers are a bit high but I also think that it is very early days for you. If you persist in a low carb diet those numbers will come down further and you are definitely on the right track. Well done and keep testing. :p

Reactions: Prem51