Five years on

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Another year gone by, now just over 5 years since I was officially diagnosed.

Mainly due to enjoying myself, I’ve not managed to get in for my annual check-up at the worst point of my excesses, like I normally try to, but thought I better lose a few excess pounds prior to Christmas, and hit the Newcastle diet again, before the turkey, wine, beer, mince pies, chocolates, and all the other stuff that’ll put the pounds back on, ready for the New Year diet.
So the Tesco shakes, the diet bars, and unfortunately the odd Greggs here and there, but still counted in the days calories. I believe in keeping the carbs up during the Newcastle diet so even though a sausage roll isn’t exactly low fat, I’ll make an exception if I’m working next door to one.
And the check-up fell in the middle.

But it all seems to have been good so far, Hba1c is 5.7%, so I can definitely still tolerate carbs.

Although my tastes have changed, and I avoid the donuts still. But a nice cupcake with the coffee from the trade counter at the local Screwfix seems to find its place as lunch occasionally!

The personal fat threshold theory is certainly true, if my weight creeps up to a certain point, my tolerance seems to switch, rather than slowly change. But a simple fix, back on 800 calories until I’m back down at my target.

Insulation resistance is also certainly variable depending on my diet, a few days with little carbs, and the spike is higher on the first carby meal than it is on the second.
Particularly noticeable if I’m travelling, as I like a lot of vegetables in my cooking, and if I eat little carbs with them for a few days, the first pitta with a curry is more noticeable than the next days.

Cholesterol is nice and low, where I like it, maybe a bit more polishing on the LDL if I can manage it.
Still the turkey breast will be low in saturated fats, and I avoid high cholesterol food normally, so I reckon I’ll survive the holiday.

Amazingly, I still have a liver apparently, and it actually seems to work, as do my kidneys!
Another strain with the Christmas booze coming up for them then. (A glass of ‘alcohol free’ wine just isn’t the same, but after summer they need a break)

I didn’t really get much chance to dive this year, but still walking, and exercising and training at the local gym.

Now it’s cold and dark, it’s time to plan the trips for next year, I’m thinking south, Morocco is moving up the list, with the promise of warmer days.
So, definitely a mixed bag of food to look forward to there.

Anyway, back to the planning, have a good Christmas.

Reactions: Timbo42 and Robkww

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another year gone by, now just over 5 years since I was officially diagnosed.

Mainly due to enjoying myself, I’ve not managed to get in for my annual check-up at the worst point of my excesses, like I normally try to, but thought I better lose a few excess pounds prior to Christmas, and hit the Newcastle diet again, before the turkey, wine, beer, mince pies, chocolates, and all the other stuff that’ll put the pounds back on, ready for the New Year diet.
So the Tesco shakes, the diet bars, and unfortunately the odd Greggs here and there, but still counted in the days calories. I believe in keeping the carbs up during the Newcastle diet so even though a sausage roll isn’t exactly low fat, I’ll make an exception if I’m working next door to one.
And the check-up fell in the middle.

But it all seems to have been good so far, Hba1c is 5.7%, so I can definitely still tolerate carbs.

Although my tastes have changed, and I avoid the donuts still. But a nice cupcake with the coffee from the trade counter at the local Screwfix seems to find its place as lunch occasionally!

The personal fat threshold theory is certainly true, if my weight creeps up to a certain point, my tolerance seems to switch, rather than slowly change. But a simple fix, back on 800 calories until I’m back down at my target.

Insulation resistance is also certainly variable depending on my diet, a few days with little carbs, and the spike is higher on the first carby meal than it is on the second.
Particularly noticeable if I’m travelling, as I like a lot of vegetables in my cooking, and if I eat little carbs with them for a few days, the first pitta with a curry is more noticeable than the next days.

Cholesterol is nice and low, where I like it, maybe a bit more polishing on the LDL if I can manage it.
Still the turkey breast will be low in saturated fats, and I avoid high cholesterol food normally, so I reckon I’ll survive the holiday.

Amazingly, I still have a liver apparently, and it actually seems to work, as do my kidneys!
Another strain with the Christmas booze coming up for them then. (A glass of ‘alcohol free’ wine just isn’t the same, but after summer they need a break)

I didn’t really get much chance to dive this year, but still walking, and exercising and training at the local gym.

Now it’s cold and dark, it’s time to plan the trips for next year, I’m thinking south, Morocco is moving up the list, with the promise of warmer days.
So, definitely a mixed bag of food to look forward to there.

Anyway, back to the planning, have a good Christmas.

Hope you have a lovely christmas and enjoy your holidays! I'm very jealous!

Reactions: douglas99

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks.

That's all the bloods looking good, I want to stay on the diabetic register, and on the minimal dose of metformin and statins.
I've had no pressure to be taken off the register yet, so hopefully it'll be another quick in and out with the nurse for the full review to follow up on the blood test shortly, then a visit for the annual eye test.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
An hour and a half at the opticians today.

Apart from a change in prescription, massively dilated pupils, and a blinding headache from all the lights, absolutely clear on all counts.

Just the nurse next week now, to be weighed, prodded, and poked.

(Maybe relax the diet today for a glass of wine to celebrate!)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Final diabetic checkup done, all clear on all counts.
Weight is good, BMI is good, pulse ok in both feet, all sensation present, and I even remembered to wash my feet yesterday.
(although a urine specimen will be sent off for a routine protein test, which we expect to be clear, but will be online in a couple of days to check anyway)
BP was good, oddly enough it was exactly the same as last year.

It was suggested I was taken off the remaining metformin, and put on diet controlled only, but I have successfully resisted, unfortunately they have caught up with me on test strips at last, they have now fallen by the wayside due to the consistent low hba1c. I couldn't really argue when they asked me why I needed them.
I shall probably buy the odd ones now and again though, as it is nice to see the numbers at times.
I have more than enough for christmas.

So, all in all, a good year again, and roll on the christmas goodies.

D

Deleted Account

I 'd never heard of "INSULATION resistance". Perhaps that's why I feel the cold more than others :)

Seriously, sounds as if you've had a good year. Whilst you don't want to waste all the good work, it sounds like you deserve a treat over Christmas.

Reactions: douglas99

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I 'd never heard of "INSULATION resistance". Perhaps that's why I feel the cold more than others :)

Seriously, sounds as if you've had a good year. Whilst you don't want to waste all the good work, it sounds like you deserve a treat over Christmas.

Yes, after I lost 25% of my body weight, my insulation to the cold went down dramatically.
Back on the low calorie diet in the New Year if the scales tell me I need to trim down again!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, as expected the urine tests were fine, so it's time to drop out again, unless anything, or anywhere is worth popping back in for.

(I do have a nice bottle of Mezcal, complete with the worm in the bottom for my christmas tipple, if I remember I'll post up my after dinner drink, complete with bushtucker challenge if you like, should go down ok after the christmas pud)

Have a Merry Christmas, and a Prosperous New Year.