Fizzy drinks and people who don't listen

dianne1966

akindrat18 said:
I was in disbelief last night as the pub that I go to regularly know that I am diabetic, but they gave me a normal pint of coke by mistake and I even had to ask one of my friends who is type 1 if i could test myself as I recently had my meter taken away from me and cannot afford to buy one. Anyways my sugars were at 23.5 last night and this morning now at 18.3
why did u have ur machine taken away from u i have never had to buy one in 20 years theres plenty off free ones on offer if you look at different sites.....

rowellswales

I had the same experience at a restaurant and when I pointed it out I was told that I had ordered a normal Pepsi. When everyone on my table said that I had ordered a diet Pepsi I was then told it wasn't a big deal. I explained I was a diabetic and was told by the waiter it was not his fault. My friends decided at that point we would not eat at the restaurant so we paid for our drinks and left. I am not going back to that restaurant and neither are any of my friends

candiloo

I went to Marsa Alam in Egypt to the Sol Y Mar Abu Dabbab and I asked for diet cola (cola lite out there) and the help yourself machines had a diet optiom, but I got ill with high levels. Turns out they have no low sugar drinks at all but neglected to tell anyone as they didn't want to get told off. Told us that it hadn't come from Cairo due to the troubles, but looking at Trip Advisor, and having been twice to a brilliant hotel since, this is just them not getting it ordered or bothering. Trouble is, you then become very limited in what you can drink - bummer when you are all inclusive!!!

GrumpyOlGit

I have a huge Coke habit, I drink more than 1+1/2 litres of Coke Zero per day... love it... no BS increase and probably because its mainly water my BS stays still. I make sure when I'm out and can't get Coke Zero, I make a fuss by saying 'I'm diabetic and must not have sugar please give me a diet coke, either that or give me any old coke and order me an ambulance!' That usually does the trick :crazy:

sanchia07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Omg - people make mistakes, and with all this attiude plyed a staff on minimum wage, no wonder mistakes happen! How about just taking it back explain that its the full sugar and taking a couple of minutes to talk about diabeties, instead if assuming.that people know!!!!!! Without education awareness wont change. Being all high and mighty and reporting to head office will nit get back to the frontline staff.l, where it really matters that correct drinks are served

Tez_Ann_J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was just browsing and saw this topic. Always double check in restaurants etc that I am being served DIET coke as from past experience I know that some people don't think its a 'biggy' and think anyone can drink 'fat' coke. One really nice experience was when we were travelling through France and decided to get a quick McDs. My partner doesn't have really good French language skills and tried very hard to explain that I had to have diet coke and why when he'd seen them pour from the wrong tap. The McD's staff were great and made a real point of pouring a new one and marking the cup for us (my partner was drinking ordinary coke) and seemed pleased to have been of assistance. :clap: