1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fizzy drinks and people who don't listen

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Lesley r, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Lesley r

Lesley r · Active Member

I took my granddaughter to KFC this afternoon she is 3 she had a kid's meal I asked for diet Pepsi. I had 3 mouthfuls and thought it tasted odd. My sugar level hit 30.0. Why don't people listen we ask for these things usually for a reason!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I bought diet coke in a pub last week (I mean i wanted diet coke) and my sugars went up very badly. i went to the guy who served me and asked him why he gave me normal coke. he was insisting it was diet coke :x I dont think they dont listen they just dont care. They think you are just on diet and probably wouldnt notice it wasnt diet drink. I wouldnt recognise as i dont drink fizzy drinks often just my readings were high

3. Lesley r

Lesley r · Active Member

I'm not a fizzy drinker but I thought it was the best drink instead of just sitting there with nothing!

4. Rach06ao

Rach06ao · Member

The amount of times I take back a pepsi /coke and say I insisted diet is unbelievable! And the dont believe me! When I tell them my fiance is T1 diabetic and i automatically ask for diet they soon apologise

5. millersunited

millersunited · Member

Happened to me lots; think its a sign of the times, people preoccupied with other things instead of concentrating on their job and providing a top notch service.

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

It really is annoying, wherever possible I try to ask for soft drinks in tins or bottles as you can clearly see it's diet pop.

7. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

If possible unless I can get Diet Coke etc in a can, then I dont like to take a chance of having Diet from a tap as you dont know what else has been put in the drum beforehand.

A way of testing Diet drinks from the tap is to insert a Clinistix teststrip and if it changes to the wrong colour, then take the drink back to the staff who served it and have a go and then see the manager.

8. Lesley r

Lesley r · Active Member

Went and complained this morning shouldn't have wasted my breath!

9. SueR

SueR · Well-Known Member

Ring up KFC HQ - number below - and make your complaint to them and see what they have to say. Report the branch itself and their 'helpful' attitude. Whilst you are at it, explain the dangers they are putting yours and other diabetics health in and add a final threat of reporting them to Trading Standards and the health and hygiene bods.

Customer Careline
    0845 753 2532
    9am – 4pm Mon – Fri

I gave up being nice to snotty attitudes long ago. If I make a complaint and am not treated with respect I usually take it higher.

10. Yorksman

Yorksman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

As pointed out above, service is generally terrible. They don't make eye contact, they don't listen, sometimes they carry on talking to their mates and they have no imagination. They really don't know why you ask for diet and they really don't want to know why it is important.

When you do see good service, it makes such a pleasant change. Out of a foursome having a meal, two of us were drinking coke, one diet, one regular. Of the four drinks on the tray, the two cokes were distinguished by the diet having a slice of lime and the regular having a slice of lemon. Simple and neat by someone who was trained properly.

11. izzzi

izzzi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Really good advice,
    This is the only way for this problem to get sorted out.
    I would still e-mail Trading Standards so the will have a record of complaints to ensure actions will eventually be taken,as they will have many previous complaints.

Roy, :)

12. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

If anyone serves you sugared drinks when you asked for diet and then won't correct the mistake, just start talking about "Trading Standards". It's Exactly like being sold horse instead of beef. NOT WHAT YOU PAID FOR.
    Hana

13. Lesley r

Lesley r · Active Member

14. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I agree with what you have said handr, but feel that I would like to expand on this sentence, if I may

It is more than a NOT WHAT YOU PAID FOR issue. It is also a dangerous thing for them to do. I dont know exactly what would happen if someone on insulin, for example, drank a whole glass of non-diet cola when they werent prepared for it, but I'm sure it would be very harmful to them.

The issue here is one of ENDANGERING people, and must be taken very seriously by the people in charge of places selling drinks. We all know that they would be sued if someone died from a preventable allergic reaction, so this should be just as serious a matter.

15. mitziemartini

mitziemartini · Newbie

I often get the eye roll when I ask do restaurants have skimmed milk - lower cals, fat & sugar content. A friend of mine who works in hospitality admitted that he always ignored the skimmed milk requests and said he couldn't be bothered with people being fussy.

16. Wullie

Wullie · Active Member

It's a pain. My biggest bugbear at the moment is when you ask for "and soda", they serve it with lemonade! I always say "and soda water" to stress the point.

On the other side of the coin, when I've asked for a soya cappuccino at a coffee shop, it's never been a problem.

17. sazdragon

sazdragon · Well-Known Member

it's stupid! There has been a few times I have had to take drinks back so now I only have water or something from a bottle :D

18. linsay

linsay · Well-Known Member

I actually ended up in the hospital overnight because of this. It was a burger king restaurant and i never noticed. It can be very dangerous.

19. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There are on average around two or three threads like this one every year just on this forum alone, so without being rude Lesley I could ask you the same question, why dont people listen.

Never ever buy fizzy drinks unless you see the bottle or tin as you can never be sure what is in fizzy drinks on tap.

The operative may have connected it up to the wrong container of syrup.

The restaurant/pub may have run out and dont realise the consequences for us diabetics, why should they I may not have before I was diabetic.

Even if the right syrup is connected if the customer before you has had a full sugar drink then some of that is still going to be in the trigger and pipework, so you will still end up with some sugar in your drink.

Never drink fizzy drinks from a dispenser, always ask for a bottle or a can that you can see.

20. Paul Oak

Paul Oak · Member

But people, diet drinks are so much worse for you than the accidental sugar hit of standard drinks, just read the latest research on artificial sweeteners and the health risks associated with them, also it has been proven that diet drinks actually promote weight gain, as they condition your body to expect sugars that are then not forthcoming and your system is geared to deal with them.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook