1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Flourless Bread!

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by asparagusp, Oct 23, 2016.

1. asparagusp

asparagusp · Guest

I noticed this in Wholefood yesterday. Bread made with seeds and other ingredients like Gojo berries but no flour! Anybody seen it or bought it. Expensive at £4 but it looks delicious. There are three varieties and it seems under the range "Heart Of The Matter"

• Like Like x 1
  2. mist

mist · Guest

Not even Hilary Clinton buys £4 a loaf bread..:hungry:

• Funny Funny x 2
    #2 mist, Oct 23, 2016 at 11:03 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2016
  3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Depends on the current exchange rate on the dollar & sterling I suppose..?
    The cost of living is a little higher in @asparagusp 's geographic location too, I believe?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Well, if you want bread without the carbs, there's all sorts of low carb "flour less" breads that you could make yourself using nut or seed flours (e.g almond, coconut, peanut, sesame) or even spinach(! :wideyed:) and you can add whatever extra ingredients you fancy to the basic mix to suit both you taste and your pocket (bottomless or otherwise...) :D:D

Robbity

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. asparagusp

asparagusp · Guest

No that bread looks really yummy. I'm frightened too if I use my oven as each time I do the smoke alarm goes on and you can't turn it off!

6. Jaylee

Staff Member

Wafting it with a large fan or news paper will stop it.. Or rip the 9v battery out??

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  7. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I use large lettuce leaves. Or there are recipes with cauliflower or spinach or egg omelet type things.
    Not sure how peanut butter would taste on it, or butter but everything else goes great on lettuce wraps.

8. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Peanut butter is fabulous on lettuce - I love to wrap crispy duck in it too - my goto dish for a takeaway

9. Jaylee

Staff Member

I'm a massive fan of spicy pork mince in lettuce wraps!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

All smoke alarms in Queensland have to be hardwired into the power supply now. Ours is hardwired, but it has a little battery in it that is similar to Exit sign lights when the power goes off.

So keep on wafting till it stops, and be more careful when cooking next time.

11. asparagusp

asparagusp · Guest

I am careful - cheeky eh! This alarm was imposed upon me against my will!

12. Cat0409_

Cat0409_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No they don't. Maybe on new builds or if a house is on sold now. I rent and ours still has a 9v battery that is checked every 6 months by our real estate agent.
    Ours goes off every time we boil water or the occasional burning of cooking attempts by OH.

And I definitely vote for trying some of the recipes to make your own.
    I make an almond type bread in the microwave and then cut it in half on the short side and make French toast. I serve it up with Queen maple syrup (0 carbs), yoghurt and a few berries. Its very yummy

13. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I do not know where in Queensland you live, but here is the new rulings from the Queensland Government.

It is to protect people from their own stupidity if they do not fit a smoke alarm or replace flat batteries..

https://www.qld.gov.au/emergency/safety/smoke-alarms.html

14. Cat0409_

Cat0409_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If the home has been built or renovated substantially or changed ownership are the key points.
    Our house is pre 1997, it has not changed ownership nor been substantially renovated so battery alarms are still fine n dandy. It is a rental that's how they get away with it

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook