Flu and Bg

theonlysbf

I am a type 2 taking 1000mg Mtefartin once a day I have pretty good control over my condition my morning BG is around the high 5's low 6 and my last hba1c was 6.3, I have the winter flu vaccination.
Since just before chiristmas I have had 2 bouts of flu one 1st not too bad went to work could cope but my BG went haywire morning BG of 8+ never lower that 7, the flu subsided BG back to normal. I now have flu again much worse this time and BG has gone bl**dy haywire for the last 3 days again.
I like to think I keep myself pretty well read up but I haven't read about this issue
Anyone else suffered this any help

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
The last bad cold I had pushed my bg up but only by about 1.5mmol/L but I guess we are all different and it would depend on exactly which strain of virus you had and also (possibly) what medication you took, cold remedies etc.

theonlysbf

Hi Sid
I don’t take remedies just paracetamol for high temperature I was unaware that fighting infection puts up BG levels

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Maybe someone with some medical knowledge will have the answer here, anyone?

HenryW

I have had various medical problems since being diagnosed. Currently I am on 1000 mgs of Metformin each day, but have a HBAc1 of 6.1. Dr will not let me test any more. However whenever I am ill, recently was in hospital with infected wound in my left thumb, stabbed by a rogue twig whilst retrieving a golf ball; dangerous game golf; anyways got infection and ended up in Hospital due to part of twig remaining in my thumb, BS went haywire. I was tested every 4 hours as part of observations post general anaesthetic, to remove foriegn body from my thumb, and saw 4 hourly test results go from usual 4.0 to 14+. HBAc1 also went to 7 at next test. Now back to 6.0. So any medical problems/infection does send BS haywire.

iggy

your not alone with the colds. i ve picked up three nasty infections since xmas and have been on penicilon each time. i ve been advised to stay away from people who are ill and sterilise everything. i now live in a box, its a clean box though .
my readings are 6.6 and test daily. 1000mg metformin and statins for chloesterol . i was a gym junkie for years so this was a huge surprise it took 8 months to decide if i was type 1 or type 2 as i ,m 38 not over weight.
i wish you all well :D