Flu and hypo

Junejennyrose

Hi I’m a type 1diabetic have been for 15 years was wondering if anyone had any advice last week I was in hospital after having a hypo and discovering I had a virus been out on antibiotics but since my sugar levels wont reach higher than 3 tried cutting down my insulin has anyone else ever had anything similar ?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Junejennyrose ,

Welcome to the forum. (Thanks for the bump @Struma .)

Sorry to read you've been hospitalised regarding the hypo. Had your dosage been changed whilst admitted due to the virus?

I have to admit my appetite goes with the "lurgey." Also my personal basal needs tend go increase a unit or two whilst ill?
But will need decreasing when I get better.

Flu symptoms depending on how nasty the bout is can also "mask" any hypos should they arrise?

I'll tag in others with T1 for some thoughts. @Diakat ,@Juicyj , @therower , @KK123

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Junejennyrose . Sorry to hear that you’ve not been well.
Usually illness of any kind will see a rise in my blood glucose levels.
Could the antibiotics be reacting with your insulin? A bit of a shot in the dark.
The only other fairly obvious thing to consider is your eating habits. If you’re not eating then your insulin requirements will be drastically less.
Apologies no real answers. Hopefully things will right themselves sooner rather than later. As with a lot of things T1, tomorrow could be totally different.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Junejennyrose
That sounds rough. Are you eating?
You could try a reduced bolus and lots of testing to monitor. Did the hospital suggest any dose adjustments?