1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Flu jab side effects

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Juicyj, Nov 18, 2013.

1. DannyH

DannyH Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hi they said its not live etc and cant cause the flu. I never had it while I was younger until prob bout 7 years ago, everytime I had it I got bit muscle pain in the arm that's fine but always felt **** after I had it with sore throat had ketones etc so I stopped having it about 4 years ago. keep getting letters advising me to have it, just a personal preference but I don't trust the research etc that's even gone into it, I personally avoid much as possible il take half a parecetomel if things get really bad, I was bad last year was ill for over 2 weeks in all, was bout bed bound for first few days, but made sure water was my priority then small amounts of food even when felt sick I was holding my nose at one point to eat something, id felt id been hit by a train everybone was aching but I got over it, I wont be having the flu jab again

2. michelereid2002

michelereid2002 · Active Member

Here we go again on 2009 I got my flu jag ending up in hospital feeling so ill blood sugars spiked so high I didn't know where I was feeling sick they gave me an antmetic sickness drug threw iv. And man I didn't know what time or day it was now I have on my records under allergies FLU JAG severe reactions not to be administered thank god. Now I take my chances but still can't get over saying to my mum why ru up its sat and you don't work then pitty it was only thursday she wished it was sat.
    Get well soon and keep an eye on your blood sugars

3. SugarPlums

SugarPlums Type 1 · Active Member

Dr jeves of Boots(a non-profit organisation) and others say it's all in the mind/fake flu, problem solved ?

4. jeves

jeves · Well-Known Member

It's all about control that's all I'm saying

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

5. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

11 days later and i'm still recovering from one of the worst colds i've ever had, I can honestly say I was well and in good control before I had my flu jab, so it would appear that the jab can weaken the immune system making you more susceptable to illnesses, also an interesting read here to perhaps consider before making the decision to have your jab...
    http://www.ithinkwecouldbefriends.com/2 ... -flu-shot/

I cannot advise other individuals on what to do but I will think carefully before making the decision for mine next year.

:thumbup:

6. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Had mine on Friday, no poor effects at all :)

7. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

Normally I dont get any problems with the flu jab but weirdly this year I did........my bg levels rose fairly high for about 6hrs so needed to do corrections.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

8. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Just to let members know that you can get the flu jab at any Asda Pharmacy free of charge, they take your details and write to your gp surgery to say you've had it done, beats taking time off to attend those flu jab clinics that are always held at inconvenient times.

9. shakeyjake66

shakeyjake66 · Newbie

There's no mercury in UK flu jabs. The flu jabs in the USA have Thimerosal, which is a mercury derived preservative. None in ours since a long time ago though.

10. drahawkins_1973

drahawkins_1973 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had my jab for the first time this afternoon and kind of wished I hadn't read the forum now!
    I'm sure everything will be fine. Have my first Christmas dinner out tomorrow so hope so.

11. Sula

Sula · Active Member

I wouldn't touch the flu' jab or any other jab with a barge pole. If you knew what went into these vaccinations you wouldn't either. The 'flu is hyped up, I had 'flu when I was 7 in 1957 and I was very ill. Since then, I have had bad colds etc etc but never flu. My daughter had pneumonia three years ago, she came home and I gave her garlic, and honey, ginger and lemon drinks together with sage tea and she was over it very quickly. Sage tea is very powerful as is garlic, sage tea cured my other daughters chicken pox in 24 hours.

12. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sage tea is very good for colds and coughs but I think chicken pox will last longer than 24 hours no matter what it is treated with IMHO
    CAROL

13. drahawkins_1973

drahawkins_1973 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Since having my flu jab in Friday aside from a sore arm I've had no side effects.

The nurse who have me the jab said I was likely to get "some sniffles" but so far all ok. It does seem to be inconsistent advice from even the health care professionals though about what to expect.

14. CliveB

CliveB · Newbie

I had the jab two days ago. I've been having very high sugars which are hard to bring down - though they do come down eventually. I was having high sugars before I had the jab, though I think the problem's been worse since I had it. Even taking much larger doses of insulin (I'm on an omnipod pump) than I would usually doesn't seem to make much difference - my glucose level still soars. If it hadn't been a problem before I'd just put it down to the jab, but I'm finding it all very confusing!

This sound familiar?

15. KathrynB

KathrynB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Although the flu jab contains weakened virus or proteins with the virus particles removed, you can't catch flu from it. The jab fools the immune system into thinking it's been invaded in order for it to make antibodies against flu which will be ready to act if you come into contact with the virus at a later date. When people feel ill after the jab it's the body's immune response that causes the ill feelings. The human immune response is immensely complex and involves many cells,chemicals and messengers and when we are ill, the horrible feelings are mostly due to the immune response which is necessary to kill the invader.
    Lots of people can have the flu jab with no side effects. Some (including me) normally have no side effects but occasionally feel rotten for a few days after. I tell myself my immune response must be really good if I feel bad! That's not to say the effect of the vaccine isn't as good if you don't feel ill afterwards

• Like Like x 2
  16. jessica16

jessica16 · Well-Known Member

I've heard you get the flu after you have the flu jab, it teaches your body to fight off the flu to prepare it for if you catch a flu

17. Sancho panza

Sancho panza Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had mine last Saturday, the first time I've had one can't say I have any ill effects.

18. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

That's not the case, if you happen to get the flu after receiving the jab then it's purely coincidental, I've only had flu once and that was before I got my first flu jab, had the jab done for several years now and never had the flu since.

• Like Like x 2
  19. lizbet9

lizbet9 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Had mine last week, no problems other than an achy arm x

20. moz1

moz1 · Well-Known Member

Like anyone you can have an adverse reaction to the flu vaccine. It is a new strain of vaccine each year so how you react to last years is no guarantee how you will react to the current one. I normally feel **** from between a few days to 2 weeks just depends on particular mix that year.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook