Flu jab sore arm

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's almost flu jab time again, and as this forum is full of people who've had them lots of times I thought to ask here.

I had my first flu jab last year and it gave me a swollen red hot sore spot on my arm that lasted a week. It was about as big as the palm of my hand, and looked and felt much like a bee sting.

I meant to ask my GP about it but of course I forgot, as it disappeared, so I never thought about it again until now that it's flu jab season.

So my obvious question: Normal reaction or something to ask about before I let them jab me again?

I don't usually have skin reactions to anything really, and having a bee sting like thing on my arm doesn't really bother me either, although I'll request the other arm this time because sleeping on it didn't go very well.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I think it’s a normal reaction. It will be swollen, red and painful for the first few days. Like it feels like a heavy arm. I completely forgot about the flu jab, thanks for the reminder. But if anything, you can check in with your doctor. Usually before the jab, they’ll ask you if you are allergic to anything.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I think that’s a pretty normal reaction. I’ve had flu jabs for the past 11-12 years. Varying levels of achy-ness, and swelling and hot to the touch. I don’t know how true it is but a colleague told me once if the body doesn’t react to the jab then you don’t create the white blood cells to fight the flu.

D

Deleted member 308541

I had no problems when I had mine in May, no reaction to the fluvax etc. the sister who gave it to me was petty good at injections.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies, I'll happily collect my bee sting without worries now :)
(Provided I manage to find out when they'll be given. They tend to keep it a secret at my GP's office until the last week. And then they'll only advertise in the boring local newspaper which I never read and put a notice up in the practice where I hardly ever come...)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies, I'll happily collect my bee sting without worries now :)
(Provided I manage to find out when they'll be given. They tend to keep it a secret at my GP's office until the last week. And then they'll only advertise in the boring local newspaper which I never read and put a notice up in the practice where I hardly ever come...)

Oh wow, when flu season comes, all the doctors surgeries, hospitals and pharmacies are plastered with signs about it. Definitely can’t miss it, my gp won’t stop pestering me until I get it. If my gp isn’t pestering, it’ll be my nurse or pharmacist asking if I got it.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh wow, when flu season comes, all the doctors surgeries, hospitals and pharmacies are plastered with signs about it. Definitely can’t miss it, my gp won’t stop pestering me until I get it. If my gp isn’t pestering, it’ll be my nurse or pharmacist asking if I got it.
I made quite a scene last year. I called them in september and twice in october to ask when their jabbing sessions would be and they couldn't tell me and didn't seem to understand why I didn't want to start reading the local newspaper to find out.
In the end I missed the date and they made an extra appointment for me.

I don't think this is usual in the Netherlands, as far as I know most practices simply send out a mail but mine doesn't.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But you'll only see it if you happen to visit any of those places in the right season, don't you? I see my GP maybe once a year, if they're lucky, and my pharmacist never if I can prevent it.
And my diabetes review with internist and nurse isn't during flu season, so no one to pester me there either.

D

Deleted member 308541

At the GP I go to, the fluvax is available from the middle of April every year for those in the most need of it.

The TV stations go overboard with dire warning about the worst killer flu season, ever so there is plenty of notice. I geta text from the GP's surgery to get mine asap because of the copd.

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
Mines booked already

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for reminding me about the jab..

Been having them for years...
Never had any problems. & I was vaccinated with swine flu a number of years back too?

Hotpepper20000

I get the flu shot every year because I work with children and they are carriers of every horrible bacteria and virus.
There are alway public announcements when it’s available.
Where I live you can get a Shingles andPneumonia vaccination once you turn 50.
Having seen how horrible both those are I will be getting them as well.... in a few years.;)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made quite a scene last year. I called them in september and twice in october to ask when their jabbing sessions would be and they couldn't tell me and didn't seem to understand why I didn't want to start reading the local newspaper to find out.
In the end I missed the date and they made an extra appointment for me.

I don't think this is usual in the Netherlands, as far as I know most practices simply send out a mail but mine doesn't.
I've gotten letters for I think about a decade about the shot, with a few times and dates when to line up for them, and the option to make an appointment instead if the given dates don't suit... Weird that your surgery doesn't do that! And yeah, the injection site swells, gets red and warm.... And I always feel sick for a week, and my joints feel like ground glass. The few times they messed up the predictions of what flu's were going to go around though I got it, and it's a lot worse than the side effects of the jab for me so.... I'm patiently waiting for my letter and will show up in spite of the week's worth of misery.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I’ve just had flu jab this week and there is nothing showing on my arm but I feel like I’ve been punched really hard.

Don’t notice it till I lean on it or lay in bed on it.

Nothing showing but yes it feels sire

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Wow. I get bombarded with text messages, and with a text back ‘no thanks’ option.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I have never had a reaction to the flu jab.
However, the first year of jabbing, they also gave me a pneumonia one and the "flu like symptoms" were definitely there for a couple of days. I know others who had the two jabs at the same time, blamed the flu jab for feeling so bad and never had a flu jab again... even when I tried to explain flu jabs vary each year to catch a different strain and it could be the pneumonia jab.

I don't want to scare you: I would rather have a couple of days of flu like symptoms than full blown pneumonia.

I have no experience of shingles jabs. But agree it is not something I would want do would take the jab if offered.

My pneumonia one last year I felt terrible. Couldn’t lift arm and just felt lousy. But I’d still do again as it’s better than getting pneumonia itself.

Same with the flu. I’d rather a bit than a lot of discomfort

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Had mine last week when I went to pick up my repeat prescription no problems.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BUM......no I'm not swearing......I always have mine in my bum, after a couple of years of sore arms I was advised to have it in my bum so now I do.:D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all. After some of your stories I'm very happy I only had a sore arm and nothing else, I'm sorry for everyone who feels ill from it.
I would like getting text messages, e-mails or letters to inform me but I don't think it will ever happen in this practice.
BUM......no I'm not swearing......I always have mine in my bum, after a couple of years of sore arms I was advised to have it in my bum so now I do.:D
I don't dare ask for that. Imagine it being as sore as in my arm, I wouldn't be able to sit comfortably for a week! I'll choose the sore arm. And who knows, maybe this one won't hurt :)

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all. After some of your stories I'm very happy I only had a sore arm and nothing else, I'm sorry for everyone who feels ill from it.
I would like getting text messages, e-mails or letters to inform me but I don't think it will ever happen in this practice.

I don't dare ask for that. Imagine it being as sore as in my arm, I wouldn't be able to sit comfortably for a week! I'll choose the sore arm. And who knows, maybe this one won't hurt :)

As I have skinny arms with no padding to put the needle into .........MrSD says they are "Lucky arms"........lucky they haven't snapped......the only place with padding is my bum/love handles areas and I can honestly say I've never had a sore spot or reaction there so far.......though the nurse does avoid the sit upon bit/cheek.:nurse:

Last edited: