Fluctuating daily blood sugars

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it normal to have fluctuating daily blood sugars? I am minded to think it is. I self fund my Libre 2. This privilege allows me to see what my sugars are doing from day to day. What it is showing me is that some days my daily average is 8.4 mmol\L. So it can spike just under 15 mmol/L and then a slow decent down. Other days my daily average drops to 7.1 mmol\L with spikes not going much above 10 mmol\L. I also notice the BG graph changes pattern. On the high days my blood sugar stays elevated for much longer, sometimes for 5 or 6 hours - I’m guessing my second phase insulin release is stressed. The days when my BG is lower, my graph is more spiky with a more robust second phase insulin release. Both graphs show compromised first phase insulin release. I am assuming it has to do with first and second phase insulin release. There is not a lot I can do I know and my BG is not particularly high when seen in the context of diabetes. And just for context my daily meals can be exactly the same. I have wanted to ask this question for some time. I hope it’s not a stupid one.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Melgar unless your days are absolutely identical, your blood sugars will vary.
When I say identical, I mean, get up at the same time after the same amount of sleep, eat exactly the same, drink the same, exercise the same amount, have the same amount of stress, the weather and amount of sunlight to be the same, if you are female, I hope you don't have monthly variable hormones, you need to take exactly the same medication and be equally healthy, ...
I could go on but the point is that there are many things which can affect our blood sugars so it is not surprising that they vary from day to day.

Last edited:

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Melgar unless your days are absolutely identical, your blood sugars will vary.
When I say identical, I mean, get up at the same time after the same amount of sleep, eat exactly the same, drink the same, exercise the same amount, have the same amount of stress, the weather and amount of sunlight to be the same, if you are female, I hope you don't have monthly variable hormones, you need to take exactly the same medication and be equally healthy, ...
I could go on but the things is that there are many things which can affect our blood sugars so it is not surprising that they vary from day to day.
Thanks for you reply In Response. Yes I figured, no two days are the same. I may be going on diabetic meds so that has made me wonder too. For sure I can never replicate the exactness between the days, but food wise I can. I'm 61 so I'm guessing my hormones are not at play, but maybe they are. I'm a person who loves patterns and the days between the highs and the lower ones just struck me and I wondered.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it normal to have fluctuating daily blood sugars? I am minded to think it is. I self fund my Libre 2. This privilege allows me to see what my sugars are doing from day to day. What it is showing me is that some days my daily average is 8.4 mmol\L. So it can spike just under 15 mmol/L and then a slow decent down. Other days my daily average drops to 7.1 mmol\L with spikes not going much above 10 mmol\L. I also notice the BG graph changes pattern. On the high days my blood sugar stays elevated for much longer, sometimes for 5 or 6 hours - I’m guessing my second phase insulin release is stressed. The days when my BG is lower, my graph is more spiky with a more robust second phase insulin release. Both graphs show compromised first phase insulin release. I am assuming it has to do with first and second phase insulin release. There is not a lot I can do I know and my BG is not particularly high when seen in the context of diabetes. And just for context my daily meals can be exactly the same. I have wanted to ask this question for some time. I hope it’s not a stupid one.
Perfectly normal. If they didn't fluctuate you'd be oversupplied with fuel at some points and undersupplied at others. Your system is trying to give you what it thinks you need... problem is some of our systems might be a little bit off.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perfectly normal. If they didn't fluctuate you'd be oversupplied with fuel at some points and undersupplied at others. Your system is trying to give you what it thinks you need... problem is some of our systems might be a little bit off.
Thanks KennyA I figured it was normal. It just put my mind at ease.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aaaaaaaand - don't forget that reproductive hormones aren't the only ones we have, and they all fluctuate as that's their job. As KennyA says, they sometimes overdo it.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aaaaaaaand - don't forget that reproductive hormones aren't the only ones we have, and they all fluctuate as that's their job. As KennyA says, they sometimes overdo it.
Mine must be having a party then lolol