Fluctuating eyesight - advice?

BexC89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I was diagnosed as a Type 1 in January 2013 and have been having a lot of trouble with my eyesight and was wondering whether anyone had some advice?

I’ve worn classes since 2007. In the months leading up to diagnosis I started having blurred vision and dizziness on a daily basis and, thinking it was my eyes, got a much stronger prescription.

When I started insulin the effect was immediate and I actually stopped wearing glasses completely for about 1.5 weeks and they gradually started getting worse again. My doctors said that this was perfectly normal and to wait a few months before doing anything, so for about 2 months I was switching my glasses (between my old: now too weak and my new: now too strong) about on a daily basis depending on how my eyes were feeling.

A few months later when my levels were under control I went and got a new prescription (half-way between the old and new) which didn’t feel quite strong enough but at least didn’t make me dizzy.

Another few months later my ‘middle’ glasses are now making me dizzy and I’m back to switching between my three prescriptions. I’m tending to favour the oldest ones which are the weakest so my vision isn’t great but they’re the only ones that don’t make me dizzy. My strongest pair give me fantastic vision but I feel nauseous wearing them.

It’s driving me nuts to say the least. I know I'm definitely going to have to get them tested again but the last optician I had had absolutely no idea how to deal with a diabetic patient. Has anybody else experienced this? Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do? I’ve had my retinal screen and there are no problems there. And my blood sugar is fairly well controlled so I don’t understand the fluctuation.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bex

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Bex, if your diabetes is now under control then I'd book that eye test, highly recommend Specsavers who are very knowledgeable when it comes to dealing with patients with diabetes.

BexC89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the advice Noblehead - but Specsavers is actually where I went last time. Perhaps I should try a different branch as the normal one I go to has struggled to do fairly simple things like adjust my glasses. And just curious, what do you consider 'under control' for the purposes of getting my eyes tested? Bex

LancsCarol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Regular housework has to top the list, with nasty manipulative bullies coming a very close second - or maybe they are at the top....
Oh - and computers
Hi
For all my life from 10 yrs old, myopic = short-sighted - for 50 years.
With old age came a regular lessening of the myopia, so beginning to approach normality (maybe by the time I'm 90?)
Very slight cataract began about 2 years ago.
Then -
Several weeks before my diagnosis as Type 1, I suddenly became VERY short-sighted, and needed to wear specs from 2 years before.
High blood glucose causes thicker eyeball fluids, which alter the prism effect. It settles when the glucose stays low over several months. .

High versus low readings for BG?
Driving - you need to be either over 5 (according to Gloucestershire Health Community) or over 7 (according to a consultant in Lancaster) before starting to drive for two hours. So that must be fairly high on normality scales.
Target range is 4-6. Driving 5-7. Over 13 test for ketones - must rate as too high.

Anything over normal can affect your eyesight.
Mine must vary all the time, as I fluctuate from usually 6 to 12.
I have opted for varifocals spectacles - that way I really don't care if there is a bit of fluctuation - I won't notice as I look through the bit of the lens that suits the situation at the time.

LittleWolf

Specsavers are actually amazing. I read some bad reviews but went there for my first ever eye test anyway.

Turned out I had astigmatism and myopia. But try didn't try and push products on me. Were friendly and informative, not at all patronizing and they knew a lot about diabetes and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. The optician said it was better to wait until my BG was more stable to save me the hassle (I thought it was compared to some of you lot!)

It might seem like a hassle but as long as your eye tests are free get them tested as often as you need to. Even if you don't get new lenses you'll know when/if your current ones are unsuitable x

I hadnt even heard of varifocals lol Whereabouts do you live? I went to the Clapham Junction branch. Under control means within normal range I guess (though apparently 4-10 is normal) I'd bat for 4-7 rather.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
BexC89 said:
Thanks for the advice Noblehead - but Specsavers is actually where I went last time. Perhaps I should try a different branch as the normal one I go to has struggled to do fairly simple things like adjust my glasses. And just curious, what do you consider 'under control' for the purposes of getting my eyes tested? Bex

Perhaps you should Bex, as a rule the Optometrist are generally very good and we've had 100's of posts on the forum saying as such, they also have the latest Digital Retinal Photography equipment which is offered free to people with diabetes.

Under control to me means not swinging from high to low and keeping bg under the recommended levels discussed between you and your diabetes team, using the SD function on your meter is a good way of knowing if your diabetes is well controlled as well as the Hba1c test and meter averages.