Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics, Diabetes, and Neuropathy

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just watched this brief, 4 minute video by David Perlmutter, M.D., author of Brain Maker, reporting on a recent study in which "risk for peripheral neuropathy was doubled in those exposed to fluoroquinolones", Neurology, September 30, 2014, vol. 83 no. 14 ...

The two fluoroquinolone antibotics listed in the video are Levaquin and Cipro.

In the comment section, I came across a post by Lisa Bloomquist, who became ill after taking a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. She provided a link to an article she wrote on this topic last year... http://www.hormonesmatter.com/fluoroquinolone-antibiotics-diabetes-risk/#

In the above linked article, Lisa writes...

In an article published in the journal Medical Hypothesis entitled “Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics and Type 2 diabetes Mellitus,” it was found, through statistical analysis of the rates for both diabetes diagnosis and fluoroquinolone antibiotic (Cipro/ciprofloxacin, Levaquin/levofloxacin, Avelox/moxifloxacin, Floxin/Ofloxacin and a few others) prescriptions, that “the probability of developing diabetes following a fluoroquinolone prescription is thus estimated at 3.5 percent.”

Further into the article she writes...

Multiple studies have shown that a high-magnesium diet and high intracellular magnesium levels are protective against both diabetes and fluoroquinolone toxicity, but clinical experiments where magnesium is supplemented in order to treat diabetes shows mixed results. Although magnesium is protective, once it is depleted, it takes more than supplementation and eating leafy greens to repair the damage. Additional research shows that thiamine, which works in conjunction with magnesium, improves mitochondrial function and diabetic outcomes.

@nosher8355 In addition, one of the comments on Lisa's article caught my attention, because it referred to reactive hypoglycemia ...

[name removed] on August 27, 2014 at 7:58 pm said:

Lisa, as always you have delivered a well-researched, informative, and relevant piece. I was floxed (disabled by Levaquin) in November 2012. I instantly became hypoglycemic and often experienced terrible reactive hypoglycemia after eating. This remained for a year until I suffered several bouts of strep, had a flu shot, and took amoxicillin. Suddenly, my blood sugar began to flip-flop. For the first year of floxing my morning blood sugars were 70-80 and never went above 90 even after eating a meal or sugary snack. Now my morning blood sugars range from 110-125 most mornings, but my 2 hour post meal sugars are normal. All along I have had severe neuropathy since taking the Levaquin. I did discover that when I ate foods high in advanced glycation end products (AGEs), my neuropathy flared. You see, foods high in AGEs (mostly meats cooked at high temperatures, grilled, broiled, etc., also pasteurized cheeses, and baked goods) are linked to the worsening of diabetes and diabetic symptoms in both Type I and Type II diabetic patients. Hmmm. So there is a connection here though my endocrinologist insists I am fine. Since my A1C and post meal blood sugar numbers are perfect I am deemed ok. However, I know something isn’t right and I am suffering from dysglycemia. It is just so frustrating that my endocrinologist and neurologist dismiss me and don’t outright acknowledge the connection of my symptoms to the fluoroquinolones even with all of the documented research out there. All I can do is boil my meat, and eat an AGE-reduced diet and try to limit sugars, starches, and other carbs. I just pray this resolves and doesn’t turn into diabetes. If so, I will have Levaquin to thank!

Last edited by a moderator:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad to hear it willowbunny. Antibiotics play an important role in maintaining good health.

What I found most helpful about this information is that "Multiple studies have shown that a high-magnesium diet and high intracellular magnesium levels are protective against both diabetes and fluoroquinolone toxicity". Good to know.

At a lecture I attended recently with Tom Malterre, who has a bachelors and masters degree in nutrition, and has now completed advanced training with the Institute for Functional Medicine, I first learned how important magnesium is for health. In his new book, The Elimination Diet, he writes...

"Magnesium is the most important mineral in the human body, as it is a cofactor for more than 300 enzymes. It helps regulate blood sugar and blood pressure, and maintains relaxation in your muscles. Magnesium also has the honored task of carrying something called adenoisine triphosphate (ATP) around. This is your cellular currency, or what your body relies on to produce energy. When things go wrong with ATP, your cells have trouble functioning. As a result of this dysfunction, you can feel fatigued, agitated, and unmotivated (see the sidebar on page 109 for other magnesium symptoms)."

Under the care of a cardiologist, medication and magnesium supplementation has helped my husband control his atrial fibrillation symptoms for 10 years, which has allowed him put off getting a pacemaker.

Previously, I've taken magnesium off and on as a sleep aid and to reduce my blood pressure, not knowing how important it was to my overall health.

When I started the LCHF diet in February, I developed muscle cramping. That problem went away when I looked at and increased my intake of the electrolytes magnesium, potassium, sodium, and chloride - (the latter two I get from table salt). In addition to eating magnesium and potassium rich foods, I now take 150 mg magnesium citrate with each meal, and 99 mg potassium with breakfast. The muscle cramping has remitted.

Looking around the web, here's additional information I found on magnesium deficiency's role in type 2 diabetes...

In this article... http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/05/10/magnesium-type-2-diabetes.aspx Dr. Mercola writes...

"Low Magnesium Levels Consistently Found in Those with Elevated Insulin

In just the past year, there have been several significant studies about magnesium's role in keeping your metabolism running like a well-oiled clock—specifically in terms of insulin sensitivity, glucose regulation, and protection from type 2 diabetes. Here are just a few:

• One 2013 study involving pre-diabetics found that most had inadequate magnesium intake. Those with the highest magnesium intake reduced their risk for blood sugar and metabolic problems by a whopping 71 percent.2
  • An ADA study from October 20133 found that higher magnesium intake reduces risk of impaired glucose and insulin metabolism and slows progression from pre-diabetes to diabetes in middle-aged Americans. Researchers stated, "Magnesium intake may be particularly beneficial in offsetting your risk of developing diabetes, if you are high risk."
  • In a large Japanese study (the Hisayama Study) published in Diabetic Medicine December 2013, researchers found magnesium intake was a significant protective factor against type 2 diabetes in the general Japanese population, especially among those "with insulin resistance, low-grade inflammation and a drinking habit."4
  • And in the Framingham Offspring cohort (2006), higher magnesium intake improved insulin sensitivity and reduced type 2 diabetes risk.5"

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I've had Cipro a few times with no adverse effects so it may just be like any other antibiotic, they all carry small risks of serious adverse effects to any part of the body.

Reactions: 2 people

Matin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have very bad adverse effect on my Blood sugar I stopped it 15 days back, but still I am shaking, body burning, eye blurriness. Feel exhausted, If I walk goes down quickly, very jittary feeling. Blood sugar is not properly controlled by insulin.
How long it will take to go away?

Matin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a serious problem with Ciprofloxacin, I stopped it 15 days back, still body shaking body burning, Feel too much stressed, eye bluriness and flipflop of sugar. Insulin does not work properly, If walk sugar falls quickly, sit down it goes high. Insulin does not work properly When I will get rid of all those symptom? I am diabetic

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Matin - none of us are able to advise you on medical matters except to say that you should see your own doctor asap to discuss your symptoms.