Fluoxetine weird side effect

samochod

I've been passed from one antiD to the other for years without much success. Sertraline brought on the WORST night sweats ever. You could literally ring out the duvet. Venlafaxine massively increased the frequency and severity of my suicidal thoughts. The others a less severve mix of side effects. However, I've been on 60mg of fluoxetine for 6 or 7 months now and since midway through the first week I've been unable to taste anything apart from saltiness. My bin is full of stuff I've taken one bite of and discarded as I crave flavour. Anyone experienced similar? I have an upcoming appt with my psychiatrist and I'm going to ask him to switch my meds again. I think half a year is long enough to see if the effects will ease off.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been passed from one antiD to the other for years without much success. Sertraline brought on the WORST night sweats ever. You could literally ring out the duvet. Venlafaxine massively increased the frequency and severity of my suicidal thoughts. The others a less severve mix of side effects. However, I've been on 60mg of fluoxetine for 6 or 7 months now and since midway through the first week I've been unable to taste anything apart from saltiness. My bin is full of stuff I've taken one bite of and discarded as I crave flavour. Anyone experienced similar? I have an upcoming appt with my psychiatrist and I'm going to ask him to switch my meds again. I think half a year is long enough to see if the effects will ease off.
it may not be your meds. I would mention it to your GP and get a check up and see if there is anything else going on. Its not always obvious what is causing problems, and even those of us with mental health issues get other issues too.

Reactions: samochod

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @samochod, from reading and not as professional advice or opinion:
looking up webmd.com - Prozac side-effects by likelihood and severity - taste problems are listed an infrequent side effect but also this medication can cause a low level of sodium in the blood. Some persons with low sodium in the blood perversely avoid salt.
There are other conditions which affect sodium levels and can be associated with symptoms of depression (mayo clinic.org- Hypothroidism).
Before I was prescribed anti-Ds in the past I was tested for low thyroid and low Vitamin B12, as these. i was informed, can mimic depression.
I would suggest asking your doctor about the above: sodium levels and thyroid function as part of his/her assessment.
Again these are just suggestions.
Best wishes with a resolution to your troubles.

Reactions: samochod

samochod

Hi @samochod, from reading and not as professional advice or opinion:
looking up webmd.com - Prozac side-effects by likelihood and severity - taste problems are listed an infrequent side effect but also this medication can cause a low level of sodium in the blood. Some persons with low sodium in the blood perversely avoid salt.
There are other conditions which affect sodium levels and can be associated with symptoms of depression (mayo clinic.org- Hypothroidism).
Before I was prescribed anti-Ds in the past I was tested for low thyroid and low Vitamin B12, as these. i was informed, can mimic depression.
I would suggest asking your doctor about the above: sodium levels and thyroid function as part of his/her assessment.
Again these are just suggestions.
Best wishes with a resolution to your troubles.
That's very interesting, thank you! I'll speak to my GP about it.