Flying Long Distance With Libre Freestyle

TypeOne2007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys!

It's going to be my first time flying with the freestyle libre. I will be carrying 10 devices total because I'm going on holiday for 3 months and need spares also.

My plan was to carry 8 in hand luggage and 2 in hold luggage. My question is will there be a problem carring that many devices in my hand luggage? Also will it be an issue to pack devices in my hold luggage? Thirdly I read online someone say that you can't use the libre in your arm on the actual flight is there any truth to this?

Any input is appreciated. I have a letter from my gp which just has my perscribtion written on it and a note from gp which says "patient needs above medication".

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys!

It's going to be my first time flying with the freestyle libre. I will be carrying 10 devices total because I'm going on holiday for 3 months and need spares also.

My plan was to carry 8 in hand luggage and 2 in hold luggage. My question is will there be a problem carring that many devices in my hand luggage? Also will it be an issue to pack devices in my hold luggage? Thirdly I read online someone say that you can't use the libre in your arm on the actual flight is there any truth to this?

Any input is appreciated. I have a letter from my gp which just has my perscribtion written on it and a note from gp which says "patient needs above medication".

I have worn Libre's on intercontinental flights, without any issue whatsoever.

In terms of the sensors you intend to put in the hold; please check the stated temperature range tolererance of the devices, as it could get a it chilly in the hold.

Are you going to countries where you could expect support, or where postal services could provide replacements, if necessary?

I know when I was being proovided with rrplacements when overseas, they held them in UK for me, as the Customs and Excise processes where I was at that time were just a nightmare, nevere mind that they probably wouldn't have understood what they were.

Yes, they do inspect packages, and it has been known to have to stand in the customs area of the airport (when picking up pachages), to have to unpack the packages for inspection so that they can make up the amount of duty they'll charge on the day.

Tabzmcfc

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I rang the airline to say I’d be travelling with a Libre on my arm and others in my hand luggage and they said to carry with me the manufacturer’s instructions. Some previous threads on here were really useful. You can’t go through the scanning arch with a Libre on and have to be patted down instead. I put the spares in a clear plastic bag and asked for them to not go through the X-ray machine as per instructions. Everything was fine at both ends. I don’t think I’d risk putting them in the hold though at the price they are. Hope that helps a bit.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've been through scanners with them on. I wouldn't risk them in the hold, partly because of temperature issues and partly because I always take the meds I can't afford to lose in hand luggage. However, make sure you have a meter and plenty of blood testing strips in case the libre proves unreliable.... (They do have bad batches and some people, including me, can develop an allergy which makes them no longer work. It's best to have a plan B.)

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
I've been through scanners with them on. I wouldn't risk them in the hold, partly because of temperature issues and partly because I always take the meds I can't afford to lose in hand luggage. However, make sure you have a meter and plenty of blood testing strips in case the libre proves unreliable.... (They do have bad batches and some people, including me, can develop an allergy which makes them no longer work. It's best to have a plan B.)

Hi. Do you let the spare libres in your carry on luggage be xrayed?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi. Do you let the spare libres in your carry on luggage be xrayed?
To be honest, I don't remember (I no longer use libre because it stopped working for me after 8 blissful months). I'm pretty sure I did but it wouldn't hurt to ask Abbott whether it's OK.

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
To be honest, I don't remember (I no longer use libre because it stopped working for me after 8 blissful months). I'm pretty sure I did but it wouldn't hurt to ask Abbott whether it's OK.

Thanks. Good idea