Flying with medication - especially insulin!!

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi - I wonder if anyone can throw some light for me please. Have been diagnosed diabetic since 1999, so not new to the disease, but don't fly very often and have only flown once before since being on insulin (a BA Flight to Schipol and back on business a couple of years ago, where everything went swimmingly with simply a copy of my prescription).

I am about to fly long haul for the first time in quite a few years - last time was pre-insulin - and flying with Virgin. Am seriously contemplating cancelling my 'dream holiday' at the moment and four weeks out am suffering sleepless nights worrying about taking meds on the plane and having them confiscated!!!!!!!!

I have been through all of Virgin Holidays and Virgin Airlines websites and can't seem to get a definitive answer as to what I need to take with me. My doctor has written me a letter saying I need my medication on the flight and I have a copy of my prescription which I intend to staple to the back of the letter.

BUT - what else do I need to do - the Virgin site seems to say that everything must be in 'orginal pharmaceuticl packaging' and 'clearly prescribed for me'. Of course I can do this but not only am I diabetic, I had a heart attack 10 years ago and take three daily meds for blood pressure, one for cholesterol and aspirin, along with Omeprazole to prevent the others giving me gastric problems!!!

So, together with the two sorts of insulin, Metformin, needles, lancets for my testing kit, that ends up being 6 boxes of tablets for the heart condition, 2 boxes of Metformin to last the 6 days I am there, a box each of Novorapid and Levemir (though both will only have 2 pens in), a box of needles and a box of lancets. When you put this all together on a counter there is no way it will fit into one of the airport 'clear bags', in fact it takes up almost half of my carry on space!!!!!

I also don't want to put the 'daily' tablets in my hold luggage in case it goes astray, and don't know how this would be handled at security anyway. We are going for 6 days, 5 nights, and it suggests you should carry 2-3 days in the cabin anyway, so my argument is that it would be better for me to carry all.

BUT, do I really need to include all the packaging that goes with my mediation - would the front of each box, with the sticker from the pharmacy stating that they are for me, and the dose be adequate as that would save an awful lot of space for me?

Would be interested to hear from anyone who's flown with Virgin with insulin and other meds recently if possible before I have another sleepless night and then end up cancelling our 'trip of a lifetime' :-(

Thanks
Trulee

D

Deleted Account

I have flown with Virgin. I have flown with BA. I have flown with Delta, I have flown with EasyJet. I have flown with RyanAir, I have flown with ... With each airline, I have taken my insulin, my needles, and in recent years Libre and insulin pump. Not one airline has given a fig about any medication, needles, food, ... I have in my hand luggage.
In my experience the people who are concerned about the contents of my hand luggage are airport security and, on the rare occasion they have spotted my insulin, they are happy provided I have all liquids in a clear plastic bag (only liquids need to be in the clear plastic bag). In 15 years, I have only been asked for my doctors letter once and that was when security levels were especially high (due to the "shoe bomber"). However, I keep my doctors letter with my passport just in case.
I have traveled to many countries in Europe as well as North and South America, Asia and Africa.

I ALWAYS carry all medication in my hand luggage. Insulin does not like the cold of the hold but most importantly, I do not want to be separated from it. I ALWAYS take at least twice as much of everything (insulin, needles, test meter, strips, ...) than I think I will need. This is in case of loss, damage or delay. If I am going somewhere hot, I ALWAYS take my insulin in Frio bags but I don't "charge" then until I reach my destination.

I do not take the package for my medication and have never been asked about it.

I see no reason to cancel the trip of a lifetime but many reasons to have an amazing trip. But make sure you get plenty of sleep before you go so you can make the most of your time away.

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Helensaramay
Many, many thanks for your message!!!!

I was beginning to drive myself up the wall with all this but thank you for the reassurance.

I have my letter and a copy script to go with it. I can handle the liquids (i.e the insulin) in my liquids bag (I don't really carry anything else routinely except hand gel and hand cream, so should be fine. I will put everything else in my carry on, and if the boxes fit I'll take them, if not then I wont!!!!!

We are off to New York, have visited other places in the States (pre-insulin) but never managed, until now, to get to the Big Apple!!!!! Think I was over-reacting a little earlier, after yet another sleepless night, but I will not let something like this beat me.

Trulee

D

Deleted Account

@Trulee I am now officially jealous.
Have an amazing time in the Big Apple. It is a wonderful, larger than life city ... and the security guys at JFK and Newark are very experienced in insulin.

(And on a side note, make sure your travel insurance covers "pre-existing conditions")

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Jaylee another jealous person here :)
I am a pretty regular flier and have never had any problems. Security in Turkey, which is pretty intense didn't bat an eyelid. I only ever took a copy of my prescription with me when travelling. Keep all your medicines in your hand luggage and take twice as much as you think you will need.....just in case. And must importantly - have an amazing time in "The Big Apple"

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Trulee - If you are really worried, write to Virgin customer relations, or whatever they call themselves these days. I used to do the London<>Antigua route several times a year, and have carried all sorts in my hand baggae and the hold - from folding bicycles (x2), a sail for a 48ft sailing yacht, a 1m x 1m replacement hatch cover for the same sailing boat, a spare Aries windvane rudder almost as tall as myself, and they have always consented, without cost, promptly and politely.

Yes, I was that nutter on the aircraft.

I've had a few adventures with customs too in my time!

It'll all work out fine. Please don't let this stop or spoil a perfetly good adventure.

Last edited:

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I take 20 plus tablets a day. I have never had any airline or airport bat an eyelid at whats in my hand luggage. I never take the boxes the meds come in as they take up so much space but simply carry a copy of my prescription with me.
I have flown with Virgin-no problem and having been through Iranian security (which is thorough to the point of opening and searching my suitcase) my meds got nothing more than a cursory glance.

Enjoy your break!.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
a spare Aries windvein rudder almost as tall as myself,
How did you get that to fit in the overhead locker - unless you're about 80 cm tall, of course ;)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How did you get that to fit in the overhead locker - unless you're about 80 cm tall, of course ;)

Oh, it went into the hold.

That trip my all my luggage was left at Gatwick, so had to follow on next day. As I had flown on further from Antigua, I had to pick up my baggage at Beef Island Airport. I had to go back through to airside, pick up my three bags off the conveyor, where they were on their own, and go through customs on my own. No crowd. No distractions, just me and 2 customs men.

Were they interested? Not any more than to comment I obviously needed a lot of clothes for my trip.

Anyway, let's not distract from this thread with my adventures of an insane sailor in tropical climes.

I hope some of these shenanigans help ease your concerns @Trulee

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69 and briped

Trulee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all so much, feel soooooooo much better about it now, and do intend to have a really good time in the Big Apple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trulee, just to add to everyone else. I have been to the USA many times since diagnosis and not once was I asked about my medication. In fact the first time after diagnosis I offered up my insulin bag at Heathrow thinking I was doing good by telling the bloke there were needles so he could be careful, and he looked at me with exasperation as if to say 'who cares', off you go. You have the letter from your Doc as well just in case you come across a complete idiot but honestly, do NOT worry, keep your diabetes stuff in one bag (no need to worry about putting the insulin needles in a transparent bag because of the liquid aspect'). Have a great time.