1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Follow Up Call From Diabetic Nurse

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by ljdub, Nov 3, 2021.

1. ljdub

ljdub · Active Member

Had a phone call this morning from the diabtetic nurse i saw a couple of weeks to check how i was doing, which i thought was good as not sure if they did followups.

Anyway she asked how my sugar levels and these range from 6-7 before food and spike once ive had food and i try to get it to around 2 or below after reading on here, she said that as long as you are in single figures this will be fine

She also said that metaformin should kick in (i take 2 in morning and 1 in evening ramping up to 2 in morning and 2 in the evening), how long does metaformin take to kick in and does this lower my blood readings?

I am trying to avoid carbs as best i can and feel i am doing fine at the moment, i have managed to lose another 1/2 stone since my visit 2 weeks ago and am pleased as cant remember the last time i was this weight.

Anyway onwards and upwards, cant stress again how valuable this forum is.

Thanks in advance.

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. BravoKilo

BravoKilo · Well-Known Member

3. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @ljdub

Well done on controlling the Blood Glucose spikes from meals. This is the key thing to learn.

I'm not sure how long it takes for Metformin to 'kick in' since I decline d to take it. But I think it is certainly a week or more.
    However, don't get your hope up too high because all it does is to persuade your liver to dump less Glucose into your bloodstream so while it helps with Dawn Phenomenon, it doesn't affect Blood Glucose spikes from the carbohydrates you eat.

I still have noticeable Dawn Phenomenon , but since it has never gone above 8.0 mmol I'm content to let it reduce naturally.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook