Follow Up Call From Diabetic Nurse

ljdub

Had a phone call this morning from the diabtetic nurse i saw a couple of weeks to check how i was doing, which i thought was good as not sure if they did followups.

Anyway she asked how my sugar levels and these range from 6-7 before food and spike once ive had food and i try to get it to around 2 or below after reading on here, she said that as long as you are in single figures this will be fine

She also said that metaformin should kick in (i take 2 in morning and 1 in evening ramping up to 2 in morning and 2 in the evening), how long does metaformin take to kick in and does this lower my blood readings?

I am trying to avoid carbs as best i can and feel i am doing fine at the moment, i have managed to lose another 1/2 stone since my visit 2 weeks ago and am pleased as cant remember the last time i was this weight.

Anyway onwards and upwards, cant stress again how valuable this forum is.

Thanks in advance.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @ljdub

Well done on controlling the Blood Glucose spikes from meals. This is the key thing to learn.

I'm not sure how long it takes for Metformin to 'kick in' since I decline d to take it. But I think it is certainly a week or more.
However, don't get your hope up too high because all it does is to persuade your liver to dump less Glucose into your bloodstream so while it helps with Dawn Phenomenon, it doesn't affect Blood Glucose spikes from the carbohydrates you eat.

I still have noticeable Dawn Phenomenon , but since it has never gone above 8.0 mmol I'm content to let it reduce naturally.