Food Addict is back. Feed back desired.

AJLM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So within the last couple of days I've done something about portion control - I bought a bento box from Amazon and have been using it for every meal for two days. I've left meals satisfied, but a few hours later I'd be absolutely ravenous. The first time this happened, I had some cheese and nuts. That seemed to help. Yesterday I had some fruit between lunch and dinner and later on after dinner. Now it's 4 am (in US) and I woke up with a headache and hungry and this happened last night too. Tonight I had a Kind bar (my doctor ok'd) and a peach. It's been about 20 min and the headache is gone as is the ravenous hunger.

So that's my experience with committing to 'normal' or 'healthy' portions these last two days. Does anyone have insights on how long the body takes to get used to eating less? Even with snacks I'm eating less and in between I just don't feel right. Is this withdrawal? I anticipate contacting my doctor over the next day or two; but peer input is appreciated.

Reactions: Freema

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find carbohydrates are the triggers for hunger. The lower my carbs, the less hungry I am. One of the big attractions of the LCHF diet for me is the freedom from food obsession.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on 1000 calories for 3,5 month, now after doing a lot of fitness I do eat more on these days , but found that I am filled up when only eating 1300 calories those days even when allowed to eat 1600 calories... so it took 3,5 month for my stomack to chance to being satisfied on a lower level

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you continue to feed the hunger with carbohydrates, you will continue to have the hunger. That is why low calorie, low fat, high carb diets usually fail. You eat fruit, your blood sugar spikes, your pancreas releases too much insulin, you go low, you are ravenous, you eat fruit..... Constant cycle with no end but worsening diabetes.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AJLM. As T1 I tend not to give dietary advice to T2's. Nothing personal.
What I have found and I know others as well, is eating fruit just makes me feel hungrier even though my sugars may be in range. Apples definitely the worst.