Food at night

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a quick random question me bs were 7.7 just after tea then last night for supper I had some coco pops with abit off milk 2 packets off twigglets 3 crackers and cheese 2 crumpets which I've read these are ok to eat but my blood sugar levels went up to 22.6

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Those are all very high carb foods as well as a lot of food. I would have spiked that high too. Where did you read they were ok to eat?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you're on insulin @djry ?

That's a big supper with a lot of carbs in. If you are on insulin, did you have any fast acting insulin before eating that?

Have you been advised to eat before bed?

Reactions: 2 people

NurseDee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with Kristin25 and azure, that is a lot of carb loaded food. Perhaps also the amount of food @djry?

A bowl of coco pops with milk plus 2 packets of twigglet crisps plus 3 crackers with cheese plus 2 crumpets? That Carb amount and food amount would push my sugars sky high.

I am also interested in where you read that this was ok to eat

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those are all very high carb foods as well as a lot of food. I would have spiked that high too. Where did you read they were ok to eat?
I Google which foods are ok to snack on and most of them were on there apart from coco pops which I know are not good just can't seem to control craving food at night got my first appointment with the dietitian this week so she will help me understand foods abit more

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I Google which foods are ok to snack on and most of them were on there apart from coco pops which I know are not good just can't seem to control craving food at night got my first appointment with the dietitian this week so she will help me understand foods abit more
You have to understand that a "Snack" implies that you're eating ONE of those things rather than 6-8. At that point, it's more than most would eat in a single meal.

Also, as mentioned, nearly everything you ate was extremely high in carbohydrates. Carbs are the primary source of how our bodies create glucose which is why your meal high in carbs equated to a high increase in your blood glucose levels.

Personally, I hate going to bed hungry at night and I tend to eat a large amount of broccoli and chicken as I can eat a significant amount of both without it spiking my blood sugar and without it amounting to too many calories.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't like going to bed hungry either but just a scoop of peanut butter on celery is all I need. I sleep better too.
Personally I don't find the GI OR GL index to be if any value to my BS. I just look at total carbs.

Think about protein vegetables and healthy fats. Reduce grains and all flour products when you can

Are you on meds? If so they are still not a free ticket to eat whatever we want if we want to maintain good glucose levels.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I have crumpets for a snack but I usually just have one. I also have insulin to cover it. I would rarely have that amount of carbs, even for a proper meal. If you need a bedtime snack, maybe just choose one of those things eg a couple of cream crackers and have a hot non-carb drink to fill you up maybe.. A carb feast like that is hard to cover with insulin, and having it late evening makes it harder to monitor and correct your blood sugar afterwards.

When you see the dietician, you might want to ask about carb counting and how to adjust your fast acting insulin according to what you eat.

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah ill ask her on Thursday I don't have insulin at night I just have it in the morning dinner time and tea time I just need to feel full at night as I'm always craving food I'm not over weight I'm only 10 stone now

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't like going to bed hungry either but just a scoop of peanut butter on celery is all I need. I sleep better too.
Personally I don't find the GI OR GL index to be if any value to my BS. I just look at total carbs.

Think about protein vegetables and healthy fats. Reduce grains and all flour products when you can

Are you on meds? If so they are still not a free ticket to eat whatever we want if we want to maintain good glucose levels.
No I'm on insulin they started me on tablets but they didn't work so I'm on insulin injections now I'm just finding it hard to have foods because I'm new to it all and to much information to take I get confused to easy ha ha I just don't want to loose anymore weight so hopefully the dietitian with help me this week

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah ill ask her on Thursday I don't have insulin at night I just have it in the morning dinner time and tea time I just need to feel full at night as I'm always craving food I'm not over weight I'm only 10 stone now

If you lost weight before you were diagnosed, that might be why you're feeling hungry. Also, what are your blood sugar readings like? I find high blood sugars can make me hungry.

If you don't want to have fast acting insulin at night, then you will probably need to alter your bedtime snack so that it has much less carbohydrate in.

Edited to add that if you're getting confused, don't be afraid to ask for things to be explained again. Also, take a notepad and pen to your appointment so you can write things down.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@djry In an earlier post you said that the doctors weren't sure what type of diabetes you have. Have they done tests to find out? Have you been given any more information about this?

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No the hospital and doctors haven't said yet or my diabetes nurse I'm going to see her tomorrow so I need to ask her about it the only tests I've had is at the hospital when the doctor sent me there after I had a wee sample done I was on tablets at when I left the hospital but they weren't working because my bs levels were 26 so the diabetes nurse but me on Bolsin injections so I'm not sure

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@djry hello and welcome to my world.
You're weight lose was possibly a symptom of high untreated sugars. When I say untreated I don't mean by medication alone. Food, exercise and meds might be your way forward.
I'm overweight but touch wood no complications from very long term diabetes.
It helps what type you are to get the correct treatment for you.
Ultimately thou your pancras cannot supply your insulin demand properly. Different types determine why.
All diabetics have to be aware of what foods and how much helps cater for your bodies demands. Yes your dietician will make a start with you.
You have the task to make the changes. My advice is do food first now you have meds. Exercise will make you feel more control and help control naughty blood glucose circulating in your system. As we all get them.
Ps. Cravings are caused by carbs, reduce them and your cravings will stop. Good luck. ;)

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks the dietitian was really good glad I seen her yesterday feel loads better about it now normally my blood sugar levels r 21 at night and for the first time since I was told I had diabetes they were 7.3

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
welcome @djry - I think the snack size is the issue for you. If I ate what you mentioned I'd probably be sitting on 22 also. I was told to only have a small snack before bed and my endo doesn't like me going to bed under 8 mmol. His theory seems to work when I get it between 8-10 before bed.... I get a decent number in the mornings.

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah Ive seen a dietitian on Thursday so she helped me alot it's only 7.3 at night now it's come down from 21