Food - Chia Seeds?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
have you not got to be careful if you are on blood pressure tablets or asprin? I'm sure I read somewhere you have to be, its one of the reasons I have hardly used mine

I think that is for patients who are on warfarin. For medications, it should be listed in the package info if it interacts. Grapefruit is the usual thing to avoid and often John's Wort is listed but it's not on any of my meds. But of course, there are many other types. Always best to check with GP.

Reactions: Prem51

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a packet of chia seeds and googled for some ways to use them I did read that they should always be soaked and should never be just sprinkled dry on food. I also read they can cause a blockage in the stomach so should be used with care I threw them away

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love chia seeds. Very versatile mixed with any liquid and left overnight they soak the liquid and set to a soft gel. There was a thread on here a while ago with ideas. My favourite is to use coconut milk with them adding a small amount of grated dark chocolate on top when set. Almost could be a bounty bar. Also use in fruit tea to make a pud.

One caution, I never eat them dry. Always soak them in whatever flavour liquid I want to use overnight. Dry chia seads can expand in the digestive tract as they absorb liquid. As I sometimes have difficulty swallowing, I would worry if some dry seeds got stuck in my throat. Or even further along.

Reactions: Prem51