Food companies

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Oldvatr Your last paragraph, amended slightly, appertains to myself
"Because of my diet, I now control the food buying, growing, gathering, transport and preparation, cooking, half the washing up, etc since my umpty ump year old wife will have nothing to do with it except mention if it is not up to standard or liking. Lack of carbs is not expressed as a problem except when she is due to go kayaking, so on those days/evenings she gets spud or pasta."
A propos the other matter, I might try molasses. However Mrs DeeJay is getting suspicious about the padlock on the garden shed.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fancy naming your supermarket for us? please?
I think these companies get enough publicity without me, so I was careful not to identify them in this instance. Sufficient to say they are a German outfit operating in the UK, and so far as I know they do not sell high protein rolls.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I get really annoyed when I look online at low carb products. The amount of money that they charge taking complete advantage of people ... The amount that they charge is quite frankly disgusting.
I am hoping that the supermarkets will get their act together and start to sell more low carb products for us.
It's like that in the part of Canada I live and in my region of the country they have one of the largest obesity rates and they also have one of the highest poverty rates - so most large supermarkets or grocery stores have a small selection (one or two rows) of low carb healthy items and the rest of the store sells overly processed high carb foods that are really cheap. You look at your fellow shopper and what's in the their grocery carts - it's High Carb Hell - it would probably kill me or make me very ill if I ate what most of my fellow shoppers eat - so we're restricted to the local farmer's market and a few small independent food businesses to do our "hunting" shopping for food. There's a lot of new information out there on high carbs and poor health but it seems the majority are not listening. Easy to do when you're poor and can't afford it anyway.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Coincidentally, I emailed M&S a few days ago asking if they stock any low carb products. I got a very polite reply saying they didn't but they did stock "Low fat and Low calorie products for a healthier, balanced diet".
Ho Hum, I will keep searching.
Hi. They do sell some excellent chilled meals which we often have. They are in the 'Balanced Carb' range and they do have very low carbs but taste good with a reasonable amount of protein and are well-priced.

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I get really annoyed when I look online at low carb products. The amount of money that they charge taking complete advantage of people with pre diabetes or diabetics. They know that we are all desperate to find something that we can eat etc. The amount that they charge is quite frankly disgusting.

Why don't the supermarkets sell more low carb foods? I am sure that they would make a good prophet. Some do Lowcarb Zone products but not all. Here in the North of Yorkshire Bridlington, it is very difficult to get Lowcarb Zone products. They do a low carb rye bread for 3 grams a slice. You can buy it on Amazon but you pay silly money. 6 quid for three slices, then you have to buy 24 quids worth before Amazon will deliver. I am hoping that the supermarkets will get their act together and start to sell more low carb products for us.
Rye is still a grain, and grains are not good for diabetics as they lead to inflammation in the body. There are types of diabetic bread which you can make for yourself with almond flour and ground flaxseed. They are healthier for you than any store-bought bread:
Flax seed bread

2 tablespoons almond flour
1 tablespoon of flaxseed
1 1/2 tablespoons of coconut oil
One egg
Half a teaspoon of baking powder
Optional Pinch of salt
Optional Pinch of garlic powder

Method:

Mix all ingredients together well
Put in the microwave dish
90 seconds microwave
Slice in 2
Put slice of yellow cheese, small slice of tomato and olives or chorizo in and then 1 minute in the cheese toaster.

Yummy!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Rye is still a grain, and grains are not good for diabetics as they lead to inflammation in the body. There are types of diabetic bread which you can make for yourself with almond flour and ground flaxseed. They are healthier for you than any store-bought bread:
Flax seed bread

1 tablespoon of flaxseed
One egg
Optional Pinch of salt

Method:

90 seconds microwave
Slice in 2
Put slice of yellow cheese, small slice of tomato and olives or chorizo in and then 1 minute in the cheese toaster. Have you been watching Headbangers kitchen on You I ha
Flax seed bread

1 tablespoon of flaxseed
One egg
Optional Pinch of salt

Method:

90 seconds microwave
Slice in 2
Put slice of yellow cheese, small slice of tomato and olives or chorizo in and then 1 minute in the cheese toaster.

Yummy!

Yummy!
I have tried this recipe before but without the coconut oil. I used butter instead. Got it from Headbangers Kitchen off YouTube. I was not keen on it. It tasted to sweet and eggy for me. Somebody did say that it is quite calorific and contained quite a lot of fat. It also made me feel a little sick as it laid quite heavy in my tummy

Reactions: Grannypat

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
We probably all have different dietary-fat tolerance/taste levels for sure.

But as diabetics - containing a lot of fat is a good thing, as is the only type of food that doesn't affect our BG at all. ie doesn't contribute to overstuffing our cells with glucose, not one iota. It fills us, gives us energy, and doesn't raise our BG levels.

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
Do you have a local lidl,if so pop in there and you will be able to get rye bread

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We bought Sun Basket meals by mail for awhile. They have paleo meals as a choice as well as vegetarian, and "regular". They were great actually. We got 3 meals a week for 2 people (there's enough for 3 servings in each usually) for $70 USD. Everything's in the bag except olive oil. Never get the same thing twice either. And you can go buy the stuff at Sprouts for a lot less if you like it and save the recipe card. We also used Hello Fresh and Blue Apron. But only Sun Basket has paleo meals.