Food for thought!!

Jojo777

GP informed me after taking a fasting blood test that I have T2D. I have to take another non fasting test next week. I have cut out bread, potatoes, chocolate etc but at a loss as to what to eat apart from rabbit food! As I have high cholesterol (which I thought eating eggs was bad for you), but eggs for diabetics is ok. I’m determined to shift the weight, so would appreciate some advice. I’m taking cider vinegar every day. Is that ok? Thanks.

mouseee

Someone be along in a bit with a useful list of things to eat.

You can eat all meat, fish, cheese, eggs, non starchy veg.

Lots of people eating low carb find cholesterol also drops. Again, others have more to say on this.

The test the Dr will do will probably be hba1c which is non fasting and cleverly works out your average blood sugar for the past 3 months.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome. I'd pop along to Diet Doctor.com which is a great low carb site with lots of information about diabetes type 2.
Cholesterol in foods is now officially recognised as irrelevant to your own levels and it is even controversial as to whether it is a useful risk indicator. Your body will make more or less cholesterol based on how much you eat.
Your own ldl cholesterol may also be another symptom of metabolic syndrome (type 2 is another one of the symptoms). So when you lower your blood sugars via changing your diet you could find that your hdl levels increase and your triglycerdies decrease.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
GP informed me after taking a fasting blood test that I have T2D. I have to take another non fasting test next week. I have cut out bread, potatoes, chocolate etc but at a loss as to what to eat apart from rabbit food! As I have high cholesterol (which I thought eating eggs was bad for you), but eggs for diabetics is ok. I’m determined to shift the weight, so would appreciate some advice. I’m taking cider vinegar every day. Is that ok? Thanks.
Do you have the test results (i.e. actual figures and not what your doc says)?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone be along in a bit with a useful list of things to eat.

You can eat all meat, fish, cheese, eggs, non starchy veg.

Lots of people eating low carb find cholesterol also drops. Again, others have more to say on this.

The test the Dr will do will probably be hba1c which is non fasting and cleverly works out your average blood sugar for the past 3 months.

As an aside, I'm not sure it's that clever other than for initial diagnosis I suppose, although I appreciate its usefulness. You could have spent 6 weeks very high and 6 weeks very low. I think testing every day at optimum times are more accurate. x

mouseee

As an aside, I'm not sure it's that clever other than for initial diagnosis I suppose, although I appreciate its usefulness. You could have spent 6 weeks very high and 6 weeks very low. I think testing every day at optimum times are more accurate. x
I meant its a clever test in that it's possible to do a test that tells you that. I am always pretty amazed at things like that.

It's been a good guide for me too, at the beginning of being diabetic. I test frequently but the hba1c is a bit like reaching a target when losing weight, exercising etc. Well, it is for me anyway.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Joho777,
To take your last question first since nobody has mentioned it so far):
Cider Vinegar (and/or Cinnamon) may help - but nowhere near enough on its own.
The same applies to exercise - you can't outrun a poor diet!

Now I hope you did/do go to www.Dietdoctor.com - most of the really useful information is completely free. There are also lots of ideas for low carb meals in the Low Carb part of this Forum.

Try not to be too concerned about Cholesterol right now - the more urgent thing is T2D and a Low Carb lifestyle should be able to sort both of them out. I had a 3x Bypass 3 years before being diagnosed as T2D and personally I eat lots of eggs and cheese and full-fat dairy. What I avoid (like the plague) is anything 'low-fat' because it invariably is higher in Carbs!
I am on very low Carb, but I eat the following veg: Cauliflower, Broccoli, Spinach, Cabbage, Radishes, Courgette, Cucumber, Sprouts, Celery, Mushroom. I also eat small amounts of Tomato, French beans, Capsicums (= Bell Peppers in the USA).

I also eat fatty fish, fatty meats (especially Beef, Lamb and Pork), Nuts (except for Cashews) and many other foods. There is much more that I can eat than that I can't!

Reactions: HSSS

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Actually if you go low carb it is definitely not rabbit food. I have gone very low carb( my choice to reduce my levels quickly and as low as possible) and I don't eat tomatoes or cucumbers any more b because of the carbs in them. I eat spinach leaves and smoked salmon and pork belly and chicken and cheese- and more cheese and cream...

I've brought my levels down and lost weight for the first time in my life without counting g calories- so it could be a lot worse.

I forgot to add bacon and eggs- so still a lot you can eat