Food labelling question

colinrim

Hi all,
I am sure this may have been asked before but despite a search I am unable to find a definitive answer.
Most foods are labelled with 2 carbohydrate figures, 1 'total' and one 'of which sugars'
For example a box of Kellogs cornflakes is labelled thus-
Carbohydrate of 84g (per 100g)
and a 'of which sugars of 8g (per 100g)
Now 84g seems high but is it just the 'of which sugars' figure I should be paying attention to?

Any help will be most gratefully be received!
Colin
(Type 2, struggling to lower my glucose level)....

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just as guide, the percentage recommended is 5% carbs per 100gms.
So all breakfast cereals are way too high for diabetics.
So much for 'healthy'!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In general you should avoid all carby/starchy/sugary food, but there's no fixed answer unfortunately! Everyone is different, both in the way they react to various carbohydrates, and the targets they choose to set themselves for their blood sugar levels.

The best thing to do if you haven't got one already is to ask your doctor for a meter, or if necessary buy one for yourself, and test your responses to various higher carbohydrate foods, then you can make an informed decision about what's OK or acceptable for you to eat.

The main Diabetes UK site will give you recommended glucose levels and initially you should aim for the T2 levels, and then preferably aim lower.

Our forum has a good selection of information on low carb diets, with recipes and suggestions on alternatives for high foods. The "What have you eaten today?" is also a very useful source of acceptable menus.

Hope this helps,

Robbity

Last edited by a moderator:

colinrim

Cheers for all your replies, one more question, regarding testing, how long after eating should I test in order to see the effect on my level?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 2 people