food on the go

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
<font color="navy"></font id="navy"><font size="4"></font id="size4"><font face="Lucida Console"><font face="Arial">Hello all you fellow diabetics out there.

I have very recently been diagnosed with diabetes, and it's already been at my feet, so I am very keen to get my lifestyle in order.
I have a keen interest in gastronomy & my present dietary changes appear to be working - the excess weight is going (slowly, best way) & the blood sugar is getting lower every time I am tested ( so far!)

This is all very well & good when I am at home, but I love walking out in the wilds & it is not so easy to keep up 'little & often' when you are several hundred miles from your own fridge. Do any of you have suggestions about the type of food that can be taken on holiday which can be stored at ambient (there may not be a fridge in a hotel room or tent) & whipped out from the pocket at regular intervals? Apples are fine, but they lack the carbohydrate punch needed to keep a trekker going uphill all day, I absolutely HATE Kendal mint cake & am allergic to chocolate: most of the cereal bars are loaded with sugar.........Any ideas?</font id="Arial"></font id="Lucida Console">

Whitemare

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
How about nuts and dried fruit?

Knowledge is the key to control

StephenFromScotland

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sugarless sue</i>
<br />How about nuts and dried fruit?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yummy Yummy,
I like the alpen light bars when im out working and if i feel a wee edge coming on,they are not too loaded with sugar compare to normal alpen bars, the apple and cinnamon ones are my fav,
poundstretchers sell them the cheapest at the momment 99p for 5,don't know how long this will last though.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Whitemare,

This might help you. It lists the protein, calorie and carbohydrate values of all the major snack bars.
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/ca ... al-Bar.htm
As Stephen said, the Alpen light bar looks good at just under 12 grams carb per bar. That should be enough to raise your sugar level but, as the main ingredient is oats, it shouldn't cause a sugar spike.

Lynda Kay

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sugarless sue</i>
<br />How about nuts and dried fruit?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Mixed nuts and Dried Bing Cherries make a great trail mix!

Links removed

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
All good ideas, thanks a lot.
Especially the one about the website - I am gett just a little tired of reading all the small print: with eyes as bad as mine, it's a real bind!

Thanks again.<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font color="teal"></font id="teal">:)

Whitemare