Food spikes

Paul Jackson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I am in need of help. For years I have had the same diet but the last 12 months have seen a change in the way my T1 BG reacts to food. I spike horribly when having eaten. For this reason I skip breakfast. And weekends I skip as much food as I can get away with. But at work it’s a different story. For years I’ve have the same kind of food for lunch. Usually 2 slices of home made brown bread sandwich. With a fruit ( Banana / this week it’s tangerine a small piece of fruit cake and a babybell cheese. However. When I eat this my bloods spike from 7’s or lower to 17’s or higher. So I am obviously eating the wrong foods now. What can I take to work. I work in a warehouse office and facilities are not that great so cooking is out of the question Han e the current diet what can I make the day before that will still be fresh and tasty at14:00 the next day. I am really struggling over this spiking and tend over do on the insulin as I give insulin for 95 carbs for the about and then an hour later add another 30 or so barbs worth of insulin. I am on the 780g pump and the poor thing is working over time and I a paranoid about going high as once it ended up with me in hospital for 6 days with DKA

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Have you talked to your diabetes team about this?

Some possibilities to consider might be

1) bolussing earlier
2 changing your ratios
3 changing insulin
4 absorption issues due to bad sites (disclaimer I'm not a pump user so this suggestion might be completely wrong)
5 going lower carb, as in your question

Personally I have developed some insulin resistance (thanks T2 dad) and can no longer tolerate high carbs as well as when I was younger...

Another thought.How long have you had a cgm? Is it possible that you spiked like this before but didn't know because you were testing with a glucometer?

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you checking the high readings with a finger prick test, as CGM's tend to not be as accurate when your bloods are over 10 or under 4, and take longer to come down from high readings or go up after a hypo.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM