Food that doesn't affect BS but it should

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi James!

Do you have sausages with your full English? Most sausages are full of carb because they use a lot of cereal based filler in them. That might be contributing to your BG rise? I use Debbie&Andrew gluten-free sausages, Black farmer gluten-free sauasages or Sainsberrys Ultimate 97% pork sausages - they are all 1 to 2g carb per sausage.

Having said that, mushroom omellette raises my BG, so who knows? :crazy:

Ausra

Yes, fruits has not that much carbs.. I used to think that fruits really send sugars up, it does, some of them. It feels wrong somehow to see BS staying on the same line after eating an apple.

Red grapes lower the sugar..that is something even more weird..in some way I thought apple did exactly that to me that morning..who knows :wink:

Fallenstar

Hey Smidge!
I will take a look at those sausages, good for me as Gluten free, thanks Lady!

Ausra :D Yes, I had an egg yesterday ,tested before 5.8 , 30 mins later 13.8 ....mind you it was a giganticus eggius variety :wink: Yes amazing how we are all effected differently with different foods...might go for the cheese test soon, maybe save that for a hypo though, I heard somewhere it's good for that.
Apples do nothing to my BG much either.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya Fallenstar!

Best stick to the Debbie&Andrew (2g carb per sausage) or The black Farmer (0.7g per sausage)sausages as the Sainsberry ones are very low carb (0.8g per sausage) but contain a small amount of wheat as a filler, so not gluten-free.

p.s. I haven't gone mad and memorised the carb content of all the sausages - I happen to have a pack of each in the freezer :lol:

Smidge

Fallenstar

Memorising carb counts of sausages..now that would be geeky :lol:

Smidge you are a star, I'm offsky's to Sainsburry's tomorrow to get some of those sugar free marshmallows WJ was on about, so I will look out for the Debbie and Andrew ones ,or the Black Farmer .
Have you tried WJ's new cake, It's the Sciatella (sp :oops: ) one! It is lovely and hardly needs any Bolus, infact I don't Bolus for it at all if I have it in the afternoon. I know you struggled a bit to keep your weight up ,so it may be one for you. Dead tasty!

thanks again Doll

Herbie72

For me, it's the opposite: the bacon and egg sarnie from my local cafe messes up my sugars big time. There can't be more than 15g CHO per slice of bread, simply because they only ever use medium sliced (so 30g CHO (40g max) in total), yet despite covering it with the usual ratio, my sugars are alway sky high several hours after. At home, the same bkfast would have no effect at all. What on earth do they put in their butties?!! :crazy: :lol:

benedict

Administrator
I know many of you have to react quickly when your BGs fall into the high 3s, but honeslty, mine can stay there for a long time and it is usually better for me to eat a very small amount of carb e.g. half a ryvita. If I have 100ml of orange juice I shoot up to high levels and then crash down. I think we all have to find the best way to deal with our hypos and instructing everyone to take relatively large amounts of fast-acting carb just because they've fallen slightly below 4 isn't good advice.

Smidge

Just feel I should give some extra info for the benefit of the general reader.

People with type 1 diabetes are often advised to eat around 10-15g of quick acting carbohydrate to treat a hypo followed by some longer acting starchy carbohydrate if there is considerable time before the next meal/snack.

People with type 2 diabetes on oral medication may not need to need to take as much carbohydrate to treat a hypo as someone on insulin. However, bear in mind that how much carbohydrate you take to treat a hypo can considerably vary depending on personal circumstances.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fair enough, Benedict! I wasn't implying everyone should take small amounts of carb to deal with hypos, just that people need to find their own levels. It's quite different for those of us with LADA, but unfortunately we don't have our own area to discuss LADA-specific things.

Smidge

Fallenstar

Humorous Hypo Advice :***: Really? Humorous? Anyway glad the nasty posts were removed, we don't want anyone to feel bullied .....or as you say ,people take cheese to sort out hypos ...not a good idea :D
As Smidge said it is a very personnel thing to manage Hypo's and we all do it differently ,and are all here to still tell the tale...so no harm done.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wine and spirits seem to make my blood sugars drop sharply, where I find it good to eat alot during that time. The thing that makes me wonder is why I can eat so much dried fruit, since in the past I had 2 bags of them (not at once) each bag containing 160g of carbohydrate. I ate a whole bag without insulin, tested my blood sugar and it was around 7 and later it was going down to 6.

Could be something to do with fructose and whether it affects you or not. Thats my theory anyway, and it has been proven correct on some occasions.

Fallenstar

That is interesting NMR, a bag of dried fruit would take me up into the high twenties without enough bolus it really does spike me...infact I don't bother with it any more because of this, its very carby see.
I remember you wondering if you were still honeymoon, with those readings after eating the dried fruit I would certainly think you are :D
I remember in my Honeymoon period I could eat a bag of boiled sweets and hardly get any effect, like you get lower later.I think it would be a hospital job for me now :think: I have a theory,tin pot I know :D but I think the pure sugar food seemed to kick my pancreas into producing some insulin...it was not for that long but I used to be low after sweets.
In the early days with my Diabetes I could certainly make more "mistakes" with food than I can now.

Hey, enjoy it while you can :wink: