Food

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, I’ve made various post over the years around the trouble I have with food. I very rarely now eat any savoury food. Sunday I had a roast lunch and felt sick after that, yesterday I had 2 small pizzas for lunch and again I felt really unwell. My diet mainly consists of biscuits, cake and chocolate. I have my annual review in 2 weeks is this the place to bring it up. Although I have been through this before I was referred to a psychologist who said I don’t have any problem. Yet I know I do, certain meals I make for my sons make me feel ill, some foods I can’t bear to touch either. If I get no help with this at my review can anyone else suggest anything. I’ve also seen a dietician but they are no help either.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It is certainly worth discussing at your review. You do realise this diet is not helpful for controlling diabetes?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Why consult a psychologist when you already know the answer?

Reactions: kitedoc

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Flapjacks? some traditional puddings, though high in carbs, do have ingredients that are reasonably nutritious.

Carrot cake, cheesecake? apricot crumble? this is making me hungry.

It's far from ideal, because there are far too many carbs, but at least you'd get some nutrients.

I have overnight oats for breakfast, and add a bit of yoghurt, some cinnamon, and raspberries. Not that many carbs in it, and it tastes gorgeous.

I also add cocoa to natural yoghurt, tastes nice.

Maybe rather than seeing yourself as failing, it might be better to try and be a bit ingenious, and find ways to eat food that is sweet, but not too high carb, preferably with nutrient rich ingredients.

I think there are some low carb ideas for cakes, puddings, and other sweets, that might work. I've never tried them, but they seem to be quite popular with those who have.

Then at least you are reducing the damage, and maybe experimenting with food might make you try more savoury stuff as well, eventually.

That's the only advice I can think of.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could pay for therapy out of your own pocket, if you feel you need it enough...

Curiously, I have found that paying for medical/chiropractic/osteopathic care is remarkably motivating. Getting things 'free' doesn't always encourage us to value the advice we are given.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why consult a psychologist when you already know the answer?

Hi Mike, many people may know the logical answers to their issues but surely (for some people) a psychologist might help them understand what lies behind their behaviour and even suggest ways of dealing with it.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi Mike, many people may know the logical answers to their issues but surely (for some people) a psychologist might help them understand what lies behind their behaviour and even suggest ways of dealing with it.

You probably should read that post again. @Sarah69 has understandably recognised an issue the psychologist did not ... and worse, he's not diabetic. Of course there's a problem.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My feeling is that it might be better to escape from seeing it as a problem, because it probably creates a very negative feedback loop, that becomes more and more critical.

It might be better for @Sarah69 to escape from seeing herself as a problem.

Food is so embedded in our early experiences, that there can be so many reasons why we might have issues with it, that it probably requires serious in depth counselling to get anywhere close to what's going on.

So maybe de-pathologise it, and just say this is how I feel at the moment, so I'm going to find a way to eat sweet things, in a way that is reasonably healthy, and not see it as a problem. Then maybe the inner critic gets a bit quieter, and you can move forward a bit.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You probably should read that post again. @Sarah69 has understandably recognised an issue the psychologist did not ... and worse, he's not diabetic. Of course there's a problem.

You should probably read my answer again, I was addressing you not her.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Not worth any further comment

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about hypnotherapy or seeing a counsellor, rather than a psychologist?

In the past I feel I have been a bit harsh with you re your food problems, sorry. Now I find that I too feel sick when trying to eat some of my past favourite low carb items. At the moment it isn't a problem for me, but if the list of foods I like gets much smaller then it will be.

Reactions: briped

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe you felt sick because your blood sugar was high not because it was savoury food? Two pizzas is likely to put your blood sugars up quite a lot as is roast dinner depending what was in it.

Anxiety can also make you feel sick though and maybe you just need to push through it, eat something savoury each day and over time it might start to feel less of an issue. Feeling sick because you’re anxious isn’t dangerous, but not getting any nutrients can be.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
How about hypnotherapy or seeing a counsellor, rather than a psychologist?

In the past I feel I have been a bit harsh with you re your food problems, sorry. Now I find that I too feel sick when trying to eat some of my past favourite low carb items. At the moment it isn't a problem for me, but if the list of foods I like gets much smaller then it will be.

Thank you it’s fine, is this something that my gp can refer or can it be referred by the diabetic clinic I go to. This is not something I can afford myself. This is a real problem to me having these food problems. It’s not something I’m choosing to have. A roast lunch now seems to be the only thing I can eat but if I feel the same this weekend like I have the previous 2 times of eating a roast that will be out too.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you it’s fine, is this something that my gp can refer or can it be referred by the diabetic clinic I go to. This is not something I can afford myself. This is a real problem to me having these food problems. It’s not something I’m choosing to have. A roast lunch now seems to be the only thing I can eat but if I feel the same this weekend like I have the previous 2 times of eating a roast that will be out too.
My GP referred me for counselling. I am not sure about hypnotherapy. Sorry.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
It is certainly worth discussing at your review. You do realise this diet is not helpful for controlling diabetes?

I’m not on any kind of diet! I was just asking for any suggestions of where I could get help from. I’m not anorexic nor bulimic I don’t over eat, but there is help for those people. I am struggling to eat any savoury food, I don’t like touching some food, I don’t like the smell of food cooking. Also I have trouble with other people’s food choices of what they think go together. On an episode of big brother they cooked a roast lunch somebody in there had mayonnaise with it, to me that’s disgusting and it made my stomach turn. I work as an HCA on a hospital ward, the food that comes on there makes me feel sick, it’s disgusting. They are puréed meals and fork mashable foods that some patients have to eat. The smell of it is on another level and if it accidentally touches me I freak out having to wash my hands several times. Yet I’ve had a patients urine nd a small amount of poo on me and it didn’t revolt me in the same way, yes I washed the appropriate area after. I need to find help with this but don’t know really where to go.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Sarah69 by "diet" I meant what you are eating.
It seems clear you have food issues so please do discuss this at your review. Perhaps lead with the food revulsion rather than the only eating sweet food angle though?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It could be the food your serving up to people putting you off by "association" - my dad is in a care home and on a soft food diet, once when I was in he was having fish with cauliflower cheese, it looked awful all mashed up together although I know it tasted lovely as my hubby had some with him but in it's conventional state.

It really put me off my fish pie I make at home for quite a while - every time I thought about it my tummy flipped - ok now though but if you're with it every day it may be affecting you

Reactions: Suswa and briped

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi, @Sarah69, not as professional advice or opinion: since you are prescribed insulin (Levemir) do you have a glucose meter?
If not ask your GP to prescribe the test strips - you are on insulin so you need a meter, whatever mumbo-jumbo he/she might spout. If you have BSL readings you can better inform your GP how your treatment (and diet) is working and what adjustments need to be made.
If you do have a glucose meter what sort of BSLs are you getting say 2 hours after a meal ? These result can help you to know what the roast dinner and other foods are doing and may help explain the cause of your nausea.
And sometimes insulin lowers our BSLs and we feel hungry and may be low in blood sugar, something we may need a glucose meter to check if you are not familiar with the symptoms of low blood sugar (on the Home page , go to the question box, upper right) and type in hypoglycaemia(= low sugar in the blood).
Many of us know about comfort eating, where we eat food to deal with stress and the results are anything but relaxing!!
But getting you GP onto finding the cause of the nausea you suffer from is an important issue.
Best Wishes.

Reactions: Brunneria

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, @Sarah69, not as professional advice or opinion: since you are prescribed insulin (Levemir) do you have a glucose meter?
If not ask your GP to prescribe the test strips - you are on insulin so you need a meter, whatever mumbo-jumbo he/she might spout. If you have BSL readings you can better inform your GP how your treatment (and diet) is working and what adjustments need to be made.
If you do have a glucose meter what sort of BSLs are you getting say 2 hours after a meal ? These result can help you to know what the roast dinner and other foods are doing and may help explain the cause of your nausea.
And sometimes insulin lowers our BSLs and we feel hungry and may be low in blood sugar, something we may need a glucose meter to check if you are not familiar with the symptoms of low blood sugar (on the Home page , go to the question box, upper right) and type in hypoglycaemia(= low sugar in the blood).
Many of us know about comfort eating, where we eat food to deal with stress and the results are anything but relaxing!!
But getting you GP onto finding the cause of the nausea you suffer from is an important issue.
Best Wishes.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve been diabetic about 20 years so yes I have a meter. At the moment I only test before I drive anywhere. I know how a low blood sugar feels so will test then to see how low it is. I don’t actually eat any meals apart from a Sunday lunch every week unless I’m working on a Sunday. I don’t test then. I’ve eaten a roast followed by an afters and a few chocks later and I’ve ended up having a hypo, which I can’t understand how that happened. At work I eat the same thing every day, 1 day I was fine yet the 2nd I had about 3 hypo’s. I really don’t understand diabeties at times.