Type 1 Food

Bridie9408

Hi everyone l have type 1 diabetes for 35 years and have always struggled with food . The main problem is I dislike almost everything that I should be eating and find myself just turning to foods I know that are messing up my blood sugars . I would not be a big eater and find myself snacking more than anything. I suppose what I am looking for is few tips on simple plain healthy food. My diet consists mostly of cereal, toast, ham and cheese sandwiches, oranges and biscuits and I cannot manage low carb because I can't find anything I like to eat. Thank you everyone.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With Type 1, our diet need not be any different to anyone without diabetes.
If you find your food is "messing up your blood sugars" you probably need to review your insulin dose and timing.
Assuming you are on a basal bolus regime, the advice is to do a basal test t check your basal dose keeps your levels stable without food and then adjust your bolus.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Have to agree with previous message , gone are the days when we couldn’t eat certain foods ( thank goodness) , I tend to eat what I like and adjust my insulin to suit to try and keep in an “ acceptable “ range , I suppose like people without diabetes it’s about trying to have a healthy diet , which applies to everyone .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone l have type 1 diabetes for 35 years and have always struggled with food . The main problem is I dislike almost everything that I should be eating and find myself just turning to foods I know that are messing up my blood sugars . I would not be a big eater and find myself snacking more than anything. I suppose what I am looking for is few tips on simple plain healthy food. My diet consists mostly of cereal, toast, ham and cheese sandwiches, oranges and biscuits and I cannot manage low carb because I can't find anything I like to eat. Thank you everyone.

Hi,

It's a tricky one to gauge if your palete is stimulated only by certain food types & combinations.
Understanding the carb count regarding what you enjoy can help. (As a starting point.)
This issue with snacking maybe that's it's easy to loose count which could be throwing your BGs.

You could try perusing cookery sites for something that might take your fancy. Most recipie sites & books these days have the nutritional value, which may help with what you bolus for?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the best tip I could give you is to stick to 3 regular meals of roughly the same quantities of carbs. Avoid the carby snacks as you don't need these unless you are taking too much insulin in which case you reduce that insulin. If you do want to snack what low carb options could you eat e.g. cheese, salami, boiled egg, plain yoghurt? Peanut butter on a slice of apple? Almonds?

We all have certain foods we prefer so that's not really the problem but if your eating is a little chaotic then that isn't going to help you establish sensible insulin dosing.

Maybe you could note down typical meals and doses for a week plus blood sugar responses? You might spot that you are under dosing for certain meals or that it is actually the snacks that are throwing things out. Or maybe your basal isn't quite right or runs out and sends you high at certain times.
If you end up having the same breakfast and lunch plus dinner as a result I don't think that matters and it will actually help your blood sugars be predictable.
It is hard to be spontaneous with diabetes without running to difficulties with dosing which is why I choose to be a lazy low carber (don't want to be weighing my chips or checking packets etc.)!

Reactions: EllieM

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I certainly know how you feel. I have a very hard time with food, I rarely eat a savoury meal. I just get by on chocolate, cake and biscuits, not a great diet but I’m waiting to see a psychologist mind you been waiting over a year now!