Foods that you thought would spike you surprisingly dont

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah! Beware the Pizza effect. Have a look on Google. It can fool folk into thinking it's OK and then suddenly spike you many hours later.

I've made, twice now, something I call a meatzza

Small toaster oven pan (mine is convection as well)'. Line with parchment paper, up the sides too. Start with a layer of your favourite meats ( over lapping). Cover with favourite cheeses, top with pizza sauce (no sugar versions). And add other toppings, keeping the ones that contain lots of water, such as mushrooms, at the top. Set the oven at 200C and let run for 30-35 mins.... Then I let it set for another 20-25 mins... (Hot fat not good!)

You have to eat with a fork, there is no picking up a slice of this, but it's really good! I used salami as the main base twice now, added some cooked bacon, ham... Mushrooms and hot peppers onions and of course lots of garlic, just avoided pineapple. BS 2 hours later were well under 6, and I never spiked long term.

Reactions: 10 people
S

Sable_Jan

I've made, twice now, something I call a meatzza

Small toaster oven pan (mine is convection as well)'. Line with parchment paper, up the sides too. Start with a layer of your favourite meats ( over lapping). Cover with favourite cheeses, top with pizza sauce (no sugar versions). And add other toppings, keeping the ones that contain lots of water, such as mushrooms, at the top. Set the oven at 200C and let run for 30-35 mins.... Then I let it set for another 20-25 mins... (Hot fat not good!)

You have to eat with a fork, there is no picking up a slice of this, but it's really good! I used salami as the main base twice now, added some cooked bacon, ham... Mushrooms and hot peppers onions and of course lots of garlic, just avoided pineapple. BS 2 hours later were well under 6, and I never spiked long term.
You've got me drooling .. ..

S

Sable_Jan

Foods that have a very high fat content such as pizza can cause a delayed blood glucose spike. The fat in these foods slows the absorption of carbohydrates, which can result in normal levels two to three hours after eating and elevated blood glucose up to eight hours after.
Ah, I thought that eating more fats wth the carbs meant that the carbs were released more slowly (as you say) but prevented a spike because of it. From what you're saying although they ARE released slowly the slow rate is the same for all the carbs so you still get a sudden "dose" all at once rather than the fats bringing out a GRADUAL release which is what I took SLOW to represent.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Foods that have a very high fat content such as pizza can cause a delayed blood glucose spike. The fat in these foods slows the absorption of carbohydrates, which can result in normal levels two to three hours after eating and elevated blood glucose up to eight hours after.
However according to Scheiner, fat doesn't actually delay absorption of the carbohydrates for that long .The higher glucose levels, particularly next morning (ie 8 hours later after an evening meal) are due to increased insulin resistance following such a meal.
http://www.mendosa.com/The-Fat-of-the-Matter-How-Dietary-Fat-Effects-Blood-Glucose.htm

I've done some chasing up on this since some people have in the past objected to what Scheiner says and he doesn't give any references . Here are 3 papers of the many papers I found for anyone who is also interested.
A paper that shows what happens to insulin needs following a higher fat meal with type 1 This states the same thesis as Scheiner but also has good references .

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/4/810.long
This is I suspect the first paper to question the idea that later higher glucose levels were caused by slow absorption .
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11432759?dopt=Abstract&holding=npg (full text available)
A more recent study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20731625?dopt=Abstract (abstract only but available on researchgate if you have access )

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @phoenix

This goes a long way to explain the recent upward trend of my morning fasting levels, which coincides with me adding extra fat to my evening meal in order to stop losing weight. I need to put some careful thought to this.

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

Thank you @phoenix

This goes a long way to explain the recent upward trend of my morning fasting levels, which coincides with me adding extra fat to my evening meal in order to stop losing weight. I need to put some careful thought to this.
I'm going to second this because I've been doing the same to stop weight loss. And my morning levels have been higher but my daytime readings better. Food for thought

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to second this because I've been doing the same to stop weight loss. And my morning levels have been higher but my daytime readings better. Food for thought

Snap. All my post meal readings have improved significantly, my pre-meal levels are still much the same and good, but my fasting readings are marching upwards, coinciding with my extra fat consumption.

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @phoenix

Change the type of fat?

alliebee

I'm not sure I would know which one to change. I eat cheese eggs. Olive oil coconut oil butter a little cream. Mayo. All in moderation though.

alliebee

Just what I eat apart from coconut oil, and just what I was thinking. :):hilarious::hilarious:;)
Seriously though it puts us back at square one..go back to less fat such as fish and tuna and chicken n veggies. Cut back the cheese. And we will be back to dropping more weight. And its not good

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I already eat a lot of fish. 2 fish meals a week and 4 of the tiny tins of salmon a week. It is the cheese methinks with me. I do eat a lot of it. But what to replace it with?

alliebee

I'm much like you. I eat fish at least 4 times a week. Tuna and salmon and smoked mackeral...cheese is the thing I upped to stop loosing

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try redistributing the additional fat throughout the day, so as not to take a once a day "hit"?

Similarly, it may affect you differently at another time of the day, just as some people can't have carbs at breakfast time, or after x o'clock.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Reactions: 4 people

alliebee

I do really though. I try and balance fats through the day. Ie bacon and eggs. Lunch meat or fish with salad and olive oil dressing. Maybe cheese in cauli mash or veggies with butter. Its hard to know what to do. .maybe just accept the higher reading in the morning???

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long has it been going on? I'd be tempted to give it at least a couple of weeks to sort itself out; a bit like carb lag?