Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi,

Could you please tell me what a foot check involves please.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Could you please tell me what a foot check involves please.
I assume you mean a check by a diabetes nurse. Visual examination for any cuts, abrasions, ulcers etc. Check for pulse. Test for feeling in the toes with a fibre, a bit like a bristle, they just press it against a toe and you say when you feel it.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also get a tuning fork placed on the ankle bone, to check if I feel the vibration.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
This tells you what diabetes foot checks should cover
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng...ith-diabetes#what-does-the-foot-check-involve

@Sarah69 why are you asking?
Are you worried about getting your first test done or concerned that your foot checks have not been as thorough as expected?
Hi,

No it wasn’t my first one, all she did is check the pulses and then pricked gently random places on my feet to see if I could feel them. I thought they also check your feet over but that wasn’t done. I would say in all the years I’ve had foot checks they have never actually look all around my foot. I thought it was something they did in these checks.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get a general inspection, pulse, prods, tuning fork tests. I've also more recently had doppler checks, but this may be also in relation to my oedema.