Foot checks

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
I know we have in a pandemic but when I saw the nurse at my surgery last September she said “I see you have your feet”…. That was my check. I have some pain in one foot so went to see a podiatrist (cost an arm, leg and a foot!! )
She informed me that gp’s get paid to check the feet of type 2 diabetics only and so type 1 are forgotten. What sort of service is this?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She informed me that gp’s get paid to check the feet of type 2 diabetics only and so type 1 are forgotten. What sort of service is this?

Sounds like a load of rubbish - I get mine checked every year by my docs (well the diabetic nurse at my docs) and I'm Type1

It may differ by area of course, but if you are also seen by your hospital are your docs expecting the hospital to do those checks?

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
As a type 1 you should get your feat examined by your Dr or consultant at your hospital diabetic clinic once a year , I will say at my review last month they didn't seem to put much effort into it , when I pointed out that I had a fungal nail infection he just said it's not causing you a problem so forget about it . I have recently heard that the twelve monthly diabetic reviews are now looking likely to change to 18 months in my area !

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My GP doesn't check anything.
I have an annual review (including a toe tickle) annually at my diabetes clinic.
They are only checking nerve reactions. If I had something like a fungal infection, I would take that up at a separate time.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Type twos are cared for by the GP, who get funding per patient to do the entire health package. Type ones should be cared for by a hospital clinic, so the full range of checks (except eyes) should be done by the clinic. Exceptions exist, of course.
My GPs surgery keeps trying to book me to see their diabetes nurse. After explaining many times this wasn't necessary I gave in.
Nurse : I'll book you for bloods
Me : Done three weeks ago, results in letter received two weeks ago.
Nurse : How are your blood sugars?
Me : cgm results sent to central database for view by any nhs medic
Nurse : We don't use that system.
Me : Foot check, bp, weight, heart check also done 3 weeks ago
Nurse : Aha! You're missing a dietician appointment.
Me : Due to insulin complications, there are no UK dieticians qualified to treat me.
Nurse : Why are you here?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type twos are cared for by the GP, who get funding per patient to do the entire health package. Type ones should be cared for by a hospital clinic, so the full range of checks (except eyes) should be done by the clinic. Exceptions exist, of course.
My GPs surgery keeps trying to book me to see their diabetes nurse. After explaining many times this wasn't necessary I gave in.
Nurse : I'll book you for bloods
Me : Done three weeks ago, results in letter received two weeks ago.
Nurse : How are your blood sugars?
Me : cgm results sent to central database for view by any nhs medic
Nurse : We don't use that system.
Me : Foot check, bp, weight, heart check also done 3 weeks ago
Nurse : Aha! You're missing a dietician appointment.
Me : Due to insulin complications, there are no UK dieticians qualified to treat me.
Nurse : Why are you here?
SEEMS TO ME THEY JUST FOLLOW WRITTEN PROCEDURES AND TICK THE BOXES TO SAY HAS BEEN DONE.
NOT VERY HELPFUL IS IT.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...eet/what-can-i-expect-at-my-annual-foot-check
This is apparently how it should be but obviously we are only just returning to face to face checks and I personally won't be relying on a consultant being at all professionally interested in my feet so will go for a more thorough check as my feet have had t1 for over 40 years now. I have no symptoms but have had complications so its a worthwhile investment. If I were younger in the game or not prepared to make changes to improve bgs then I would probably not.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...eet/what-can-i-expect-at-my-annual-foot-check
This is apparently how it should be but obviously we are only just returning to face to face checks and I personally won't be relying on a consultant being at all professionally interested in my feet so will go for a more thorough check as my feet have had t1 for over 40 years now. I have no symptoms but have had complications so its a worthwhile investment. If I were younger in the game or not prepared to make changes to improve bgs then I would probably not.
Really? My consultant gets all anxious if I'd prefer not to let him check my feet. Does the whole nylon bristle on every toe, running down the sole and top of the foot, makes sure he can find a strong pedal pulse, questions if there has been colour changes or different sensing ability. Even does range of movement, which technically would be a physio's job.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really? My consultant gets all anxious if I'd prefer not to let him check my feet. Does the whole nylon bristle on every toe, running down the sole and top of the foot, makes sure he can find a strong pedal pulse, questions if there has been colour changes or different sensing ability. Even does range of movement, which technically would be a physio's job.
Wow you're lucky then, Mine just about manages a drawing pin and feather tickle test. The podiatrist was much more thorough though also mentioned bunions!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I suppose I’m different or maybe lucky as I see it as I only have one foot to check lol, but my last consultant app was via a video call about 14 months ago and it looks like my future ones are going to be same , so could be difficult to check nerve reaction , but i am lucky I see a podiatrist very regularly , I even have a direct phone number which if I ring and normally results in an appointment within 2 days, I must admit the service is excellent and all done on the nhs , from what I have heard it’s the old post code lottery again , recently read about foot amputations on the bbc news website and how most can be prevented ! Maybe e” eyes will be opened” of the people in charge especially in these difficult Financial Times, after all it’s down to finance at the end of the day or so we are told ,

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I suppose I’m different or maybe lucky as I see it as I only have one foot to check lol, but my last consultant app was via a video call about 14 months ago and it looks like my future ones are going to be same , so could be difficult to check nerve reaction , but i am lucky I see a podiatrist very regularly , I even have a direct phone number which if I ring and normally results in an appointment within 2 days, I must admit the service is excellent and all done on the nhs , from what I have heard it’s the old post code lottery again , recently read about foot amputations on the bbc news website and how most can be prevented ! Maybe e” eyes will be opened” of the people in charge especially in these difficult Financial Times, after all it’s down to finance at the end of the day or so we are told ,
I'm so sorry about your amputation. I hope your walking is not too difficult. Did you have any gradual signs that it would come to that? Were you being negligent in your diet or was it just your own physiological type? Anyway, check your foot every day for cracks or numbness. If you don't have a filament, you can use your finger or a plastic utensil. If my feet are dry, I use some skin cream and where socks to keep the skin supple.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I'm so sorry about your amputation. I hope your walking is not too difficult. Did you have any gradual signs that it would come to that? Were you being negligent in your diet or was it just your own physiological type? Anyway, check your foot every day for cracks or numbness. If you don't have a filament, you can use your finger or a plastic utensil. If my feet are dry, I use some skin cream and where socks to keep the skin supple.

No need to be sorry I walk fine ! And I’m never down about it no point really it’s happened have to just ge5 on with it , negligent definitely awful control ,for years any signs? None until I dropped a hammer on my toe, I was told I’d lose to maybe foot I told them to take my leg if toe dining work !was the best decision I made.I don’t have any prob with my foot in fact the podiatrist has told me my foot is in the best condition she has seen , she even asked me what moisturiser I use ,I don’t use any just put baby oil in bath every night so both foot and my stump are like the peverbial baby’s bum

Reactions: Mike d