Foot ulcer developed from minor surface scratch

Adele99

I know Having severely reduced circulation that I need to take great care of my feet. Even told by the Vascular Consultant that the slightest small blister meant getting in touch and staying off that foot until healed. Somehow I felt he was being a bit severe and putting the wind up me. Anyway I was ultra careful with my feet.

So when I noticed Id somehow managed to get a tiny minor surface scratch on the top of my foot, I cleaned it all and thought no more of it. Only for it to slowly get bigger and red around the edges and then form a sort of large crust, as if I'd had a real injury. Thought oh it's started to heal at last as it's dry, albeit a bit red around the edges, but not painful and I've got oversensitiv not lack of in my feet. Wrong on all counts.

So now 5 weeks later, it's still not healed? Still red around the edges , now painful and a bit swollen and being treated and checked weekly by the nurse coming out. Was a bit scary when she mentioned it was eating it's way down the levels of skin, as there isn't enough blood to heal it so the tissue starts to break down around and deeper. Even more so when she said it might never heal, so now have to start wearing a special waterproof boot when in the bath or shower to keep it dry.

In a week or 2 if still dry and not any worse, looking at some sort of debridement or something.

So moral of the story is, even a silly little scratch can develop into something troublesome , and wear socks at all times to protect your feet from minor surface scratches.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's seriously scary @Adele99 , and a sobering lesson to us all. I hope you manage to get it healed.

Reactions: 2 people

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
Thanks for the message! I also have oversensitve feet and tend to be a bit hap-hazard in checking them,. Will definitely pay more attention now!! Hope yours are feeling better soon :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's not good, Adele. I hope it recovers soon, and thanks for the warning. A lesson to us all.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I know Having severely reduced circulation that I need to take great care of my feet. Even told by the Vascular Consultant that the slightest small blister meant getting in touch and staying off that foot until healed. Somehow I felt he was being a bit severe and putting the wind up me. Anyway I was ultra careful with my feet.

So when I noticed Id somehow managed to get a tiny minor surface scratch on the top of my foot, I cleaned it all and thought no more of it. Only for it to slowly get bigger and red around the edges and then form a sort of large crust, as if I'd had a real injury. Thought oh it's started to heal at last as it's dry, albeit a bit red around the edges, but not painful and I've got oversensitiv not lack of in my feet. Wrong on all counts.

So now 5 weeks later, it's still not healed? Still red around the edges , now painful and a bit swollen and being treated and checked weekly by the nurse coming out. Was a bit scary when she mentioned it was eating it's way down the levels of skin, as there isn't enough blood to heal it so the tissue starts to break down around and deeper. Even more so when she said it might never heal, so now have to start wearing a special waterproof boot when in the bath or shower to keep it dry.

In a week or 2 if still dry and not any worse, looking at some sort of debridement or something.

So moral of the story is, even a silly little scratch can develop into something troublesome , and wear socks at all times to protect your feet from minor surface scratches.
You poor thing! Very sobering! Get well soon!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear that @Adele99 , it must be very worrying as well as awkward in practical terms :rolleyes: You wouldn't think a tiny scratch would end up so bothersome!

I hope it heals quickly , keep us posted with updates ?

Signy
*edited for typo *

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Really hope all works out well Adele, your quite right that we have to be extremely careful with our feet. Best wishes for now.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Very worrying for you - hope it heals soon.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Crossing my fingers for you Adele.

Two years ago I was hospitalized and put on IV round the clock for four days. A tiny rift between two toes (which I hadn't even noticed myself) had given me a severe foot infection. - When I was 'released' it was with the message that I was diabetic ... - So it goes without saying that it is very important to check your feet regularly - and especially to also make sure to fully dry between your toes when you have had a bath.

annelise

Last edited by a moderator:

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Yikes...and yet I'm sure I've seen my mum walking round the garden barefoot. How scary for you - I have everything crossed for you, do let us know how you get on x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Our toots are precious as they carry us around !
Hope your foot improves and starts to heal well .

The worry and stress of this can impact on you .
Both on your BG levels and emotionally/mentally .

I check my toots each night - will think of you when
doing my check tonight .
Willing your foot to heal ASAP for you .
Love and thoughts for you .

Please keep us posted with updates and progress .

Reactions: 4 people

Adele99

Thanks so much for all the good wishes. I'm always so careful with my feet, but in the summer had went in amongst a heather bed to cut an overgrown shrub next to it. Was wearing shoes but no socks and this is how it must have happened.

Still. I didn't realise something so minor could turn into this, which shows how little I know. Lesson learned for now . Fingers and toes crossed it will heal over before I see the Vasc consultant in October as I know how he's going to react and it won't be pleasant.

Will keep you posted.

Reactions: 4 people

lynnanne

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope your foot will heals soon. Don't be too stress up as it will affect your BS. Controlling your BS to help promote the healing. Get well soon.:nurse:

Adele99

So 2 and a bit weeks since my last post, so far so good. Wound looks exactly the same , just seems to be frozen in time, no progress, but no deterioration which is the main thing. This despite different types of dressings having been applied to help it heal. Now switched onto Inadine dressings, reapplied very 2nd day and still being checked now weekly. It's not at the stage yet for any further intervention as it could make it worse.

Also reminded not to get complacent with it, she said just because it hasn't deteriorated , it can start very quickly and to phone right away if it changes.

So roughly 2 months since this scratch happened, and counting.

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for posting this thread, I didn't realise how easy these problems can develop. fingers crossed that you are over the worst and it heals nicely for you

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Scarey, totally. Hoping that you will get some positive progress soon.
I'm a gardener for a living.. And always wear socks and shoes or walking boots. My legs are full of scratches but thanking my lucky stars now that I was told 30 years ago to always wear socks to absorb sweat and to always keep the majority of my shoes to flat lace up's. I have one pair of skechers that are black slip on's and two pairs that are tie up's. One pair of dressy shoes that I just can't remember the last time that I wore them.

I hope your foot reacts positively, and thanks for giving a reminder as when I wear my skorts in summer I think I look daft with socks on as well...you just reminded me that I don't mind looking daft.

H

Hooked

So 2 and a bit weeks since my last post, so far so good. Wound looks exactly the same , just seems to be frozen in time, no progress, but no deterioration which is the main thing. This despite different types of dressings having been applied to help it heal. Now switched onto Inadine dressings, reapplied very 2nd day and still being checked now weekly. It's not at the stage yet for any further intervention as it could make it worse.

Also reminded not to get complacent with it, she said just because it hasn't deteriorated , it can start very quickly and to phone right away if it changes.

So roughly 2 months since this scratch happened, and counting.
Good to hear it's not getting any worse. Fingers crossed it starts to heal soon. Thanks for the update.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad to hear it's no worse, that's good news . I would be more pleased if it had healed or is in the process of healing though .

The very best of luck with it, and I'm still amazed that something so trivial has caused you so much bother and frustration. Your story has certainly made me much less complacent about wearing socks .

Signy