Footwear

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I wondered, please, if you could give some guidance of suitable footwear. At the moment I’m wearing men’s slip ons with memory foam as my feet are/or feel swollen and tingly. Trouble with the memory foam it goes jellyish when I sweat or get hot, especially doing chores, thus making my shoes slippery. And they still jellyish for ages - until they dry out.
What type of shoes do you wear? I am overweight so standard ladies are tight on me, I think I have wide feet, also I don’t wish to compress or damage my feet unknowingly. Should I try Evans or good old Clarks?
I need some exercise shoes for the gym too.
I also need to do a lot of gardening and I am moving around loads of heavy stuff as preparing for a house sale.
Many Thanks :)

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try sheepskin insoles. I got somebody reasonably priced ones from eBay when my old ones wore out. They are lovely. Adapt to your foot shape and wick away moisture. They can go over orthotic inner soles too.

I’m a fan of natural fibres. Due to a lifetime of finding synthetic fabrics pretty unbearable. Weird over heating or clammy chillyness plus all the static. Yuck.

We tried a memory foam mattress topper once. I lasted about 3 days. Sleeping in a sweat bath just left me sleep deprived. Same with non-leather shoes and synthetic socks.

So I am a cotton or bamboo sock person, with sheepskin insoles and leather shoes.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wear bamboo socks - Elle ... they are sooo lovely
so maybe I need to go shopping..which I hate as feel so fat and ugly..and I end up sweating so profusely..it’s so embarrassing ..thanks for your answer

boboblck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought myself good running shoes. Brooks. Go to nearest running shoe shop, they make you run on a treadmill to see how your foot falls and match this to arches you need.

I wear them when exercising, walking and gardening. Very comfy.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought myself good running shoes. Brooks. Go to nearest running shoe shop, they make you run on a treadmill to see how your foot falls and match this to arches you need.

I wear them when exercising, walking and gardening. Very comfy.
Are you in the UK?

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Why not go into a reputable shoe shop and have your feet measured to confirm the size and width of shoe you should be wearing. If it is a wide or extra wide fitting then they may be able to offer you a pair then and there. If not then go online. Clarks offer a little known service to deliver a pair of shoes that you have ordered online to the Clarks retailer of your choice for free. You try them on, if they fit then you pay, if not you send them back.
There are various makes of sports shoes available but with the correct sizing you should be able to find a comfortable pair to fit.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Petaluk are you wearing socks with your shoes? I find if I don’t wear socks or tights my feet get sweaty in any shoes.

I have neuropathic pain in my left foot ( not diabetes related) and find I can only wear flip flops, wellies or some cheap Primark version of Ugg boots, none of which are much good for exercising so I understand your problem.

Padders have been recommended on a cancer support forum for supportive and comfortable slippers for people with neuropathic pain.

Hotter do wider fittings I believe, but they are quite pricey.

You mention Good old Clarks - why not? they do wide fittings too and still make good shoes.

Last suggestion - perhaps your diabetic podiatrist could recommend something?

boboblck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If there is no specific running stores, decathlon or any sports store would help you find a good match for your feet. Worth investing in a decent pair.

Reactions: Petaluk

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Along the same lines as this thread. I went to the podiatrist for my first routine inspection since being diagnosed T1. Apart from peripheral neuropathy which I knew about, they said my feet were in good nick BUT my boots weren't deep enough.When asked to explain she said it was about how much head room my toes had and said I needed deeper shoes.
She gave me a catalogue for cosyfeet and that was that.
My feet are small, size 4 and very slim and don't swell. I did have something called Moreton's neuroma in one foot a few years ago. I just wonder what all this is about and whether getting these extra deep shoes is really necessary.
Has anyone any experience of this? Sorry if I've gone off track

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had to throw out lots of footwear as my feet have shrunk - rather like with new glasses for the changes in eyes which diagnosis can bring, spending a lot of money on new shoes could be wasteful if they will not be right in a few months.
Being a bit of a hoarder I kept all my old shoes so only needed to get to the cupboard in the spare bedroom in order to find something I could wear, though I have knitted myself some thick socks in wool and cotton so I can still use my garden boots.
I never wear shoes without socks, always with a lot of cotton, and I often look in the boys or men's section first, as even Clarks' shoes these days have nipped in toes and mine are straight and square as nature intended - I find that I can't even keep my balance in shoes which twist my big toe over to the middle of the shoe - and it is so painful too.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey I Can recomend shoes from the trademark FitFlop their soles are amazing and much better than memory foam , these shoes are great if you have hurting feet and evens out the load on ones feet so they dont ace as much when walking

Reactions: Petaluk

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
As I don't need to wear anything particularly formal except for special occasions, I mostly wear Nike Free RN 2017 shoes which are by far the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Other than that I would recommend socks meant for exercise, like tennis socks, as they tend to be very friendly towards your heel and toes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema and Petaluk

BananaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Feet are soooooo important that like others have said, getting a fitting is the best.

I have extra wide feet and long feet, and wear sneakers/runners almost exclusively.

It’s not about vanity for me, so given the women’s shoes aren’t big enough, I go for the men’s - as recommended in the local sports store.

Apart from that, seamless socks are great too. AND I inspect (with my hands) the insides of my shoes at least once a week to make sure there’s nothing coming apart, no loose seams that might rub or cause any issues.

Reactions: Petaluk and Freema

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone tried Sketchers? I buy their slip on trainer (they come in every colour under the sun) after my friend was recommended them by her consultant after a hip replacement. They do have memory foam insoles but I almost always use thin cotton socks and when they get smelly they come out of washing machine quick wash good as new. They are like walking on air. Otherwise its generally real UGG boots which I have had about 8 years and can replace the sheepskin insoles. I recently faced up to giving my heels to charity shop except for one pair of pink suede mid heels with matching bag just in case either of my boys get married!!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone tried Sketchers? I buy their slip on trainer (they come in every colour under the sun) after my friend was recommended them by her consultant after a hip replacement. They do have memory foam insoles but I almost always use thin cotton socks and when they get smelly they come out of washing machine quick wash good as new. They are like walking on air. Otherwise its generally real UGG boots which I have had about 8 years and can replace the sheepskin insoles. I recently faced up to giving my heels to charity shop except for one pair of pink suede mid heels with matching bag just in case either of my boys get married!!

I love Skechers

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have sketchers which I ordered online, ladies 7 , but they are too small and dig in.