For mash, get Smash

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I've had a quick trawl through the Search pages, but can't find any information more recent than a couple of years ago. I have tried the resistant starch approach with regard to eating microwaved or re-cooked yesterdays mashed potato - (think Bubble-and-Squeak).
So I woke up today with that 80's jingle in my head, wondering if Instant Mash has the same resistant starch thing going on.
Does anyone use it as part of LCHF? As a thickener? And if so, can you tell me where you get it?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10.9 carbs per 100. Waitrose does it, maybe other supermarkets.

Personally I would use cauliflower or celeriac.

Reactions: nomoredonuts

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wouldn’t touch it and can’t comment on the starch resistant or otherwise. But I’ve seen it in Sainsbury’s (well their own version).

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only good thing about Smash were the robots. I always thought it was disgusting!

D

Deleted member 308541

We have a instant mash potato made by Continental called Deb, we used to take it with us when we went camping. Kids liked it but I like the proper mash.

We mash up Spudlites then portion control it out in containers, then chuck it in the freezer till needed then reheat in the microwave.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried the resistant starch approach with regard to eating microwaved or re-cooked yesterdays mashed potato
Does it work for you? I found I need exactly the same amount of insulin for reheated anything as for fresh, and I usually cook for multiple days so plenty of testing opportunities.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
We have a instant mash potato made by Continental called Deb, we used to take it with us when we went camping. Kids liked it but I like the proper mash.

We mash up Spudlites then portion control it out in containers, then chuck it in the freezer till needed then reheat in the microwave.

I used to like it with mushroom gravy on top of it.... wasn't a fan of it plain, but my Nanna always had it at her place when I was younger. Would way prefer the real thing back then, but that's what she had. Never ate it at home though.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@xfieldok - it's when you can't have something that it becomes more desirable. And @HSSS I have completely blanked out the taste and appearance. All I can visualise is making up a pack with equal parts butter, cream and powder, and having with fried liver and some onion gravy.
Has no-one tried it with any acceptable results??

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Spudlites?? Seriously?? They're doggy treats!
spudlites.jpeg

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If Waitrose has it, I haven't seen it, but in the name of science I'll get some, try it and report back.
As for cauliflower and celeriac, they appear regularly on my menus anyway, and let's just say, I need to be alone afterwards...

Reactions: xfieldok

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Smash has no nostalgia for me, so I wouldn't dream of it. Now, if you swap out the powder. add in cauliflower and lashings of black pepper, then you would be talking :)

D

Deleted member 308541

Is it just me or does anyone else find the idea of buying food from Woolworths weird?
It must be you, I and thousands millions of Strayans, Kiwi's and Seth Efricans do not have a problem with it...

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mmm! Crunchy doggo treats.

Been eating Spud Lites or three or four years now

Ah! I see. We are but three nations divided by a common language! Bonzer!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It must be you, I and thousands millions of Strayans, Kiwi's and Seth Efricans do not have a problem with it...
It's just the Poms showing our age. Woolies over here went belly-up about ten years ago!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Woolworths chain in the UK went out of business years ago and the only food they sold as far as I remember were Pick N Mix sweets.

D

Deleted member 308541

It's just the Poms showing our age. Woolies over here went belly-up about ten years ago!
It's a different company that has nearly the same name, the Woolies you had in the UK was F.W. Woolworths the same as the Americans.

Woolies here in Australia and New Zealand was solely a AUS / NZ owned company, it was taken over by a South African company several years ago.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Woolworths chain in the UK went out of business years ago and the only food they sold as far as I remember were Pick N Mix sweets.
And hot salted cashews :)
Carol