For Migraine Sufferers

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal - another video for our migraine collection.

Migraine Relief, Ketosis & Insulin Resistance w/ Elena Gross, PhD:

Thanks @Indy51

Very thought provoking and lots of what she says resonated with me - the hypoglycaemia/fluctuating glucose levels in particular. I used to dread being in situations where food might not be immediately available, believing migraines to be triggered by hunger - it was a major step for me to even consider any form of intermittent fasting.

I was a triptan user (and indeed over user, ending up with medication overuse rebound headaches) so completely get what she says about removing the pain but not the migraine and associated energy drops, sensitivity to light and sound etc.

It really is a pernicious, disabling condition the extent of which isn’t really understood by anyone that hasn’t experienced it. I wish that the ketogenic diet was discussed more by migraine experts - on discharging me from a clinic I’d attended for well over 20 years, the consultant, on hearing what had caused the disappearance of my migraines did say that there ‘was some evidence’ of keto being effective. And why wouldn’t it be given it’s use in epilepsy and the fact that so many of the prophylactic drugs used for migraines are primarily used for epilepsy?

Thanks for finding and posting these videos. I need to watch more of them.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal - Wonderful news that you've been discharged from the migraine clinic - being free of the pain after all these years much be the best "side effect" ever :happy:

I was surprised by the stats she gave on just how many people suffer with migraine.

Was also fascinated by her theories on the evolutionary adaptations that might be involved. The Neanderthal connection was particularly interesting to me - I have a higher than usual percentage, so maybe that explains it o_O

Neanderthal.PNG

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal - just discovered that Elena Gross is also the latest guest on the Ketowoman podcast if you want to check it out:

https://episodes.castos.com/daisybrackenhall/ketowomanpodcast-0097-elena-gross.mp3

Thanks!

@Goonergal - Wonderful news that you've been discharged from the migraine clinic - being free of the pain after all these years much be the best "side effect" ever :happy:

It’s absolutely the best benefit from keto for me. Do you have a link to that Neanderthal thing?