For the first time being Diabetic is depressing me

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps writing out a list of the things you can eat might help - also recording anything you tried and found you could eat even though it contained something you would not usually eat.
I found that having two shopping lists to use alternately gave me variation week to week - even now I don't buy mushrooms and tomatoes at the same time. It is just a small thing, but it did seem to make a difference to how I felt about food preparation to have to work different foods into my meals rather than always have the same foods on hand.

Reactions: paulmh

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Perhaps writing out a list of the things you can eat might help - also recording anything you tried and found you could eat even though it contained something you would not usually eat.
I found that having two shopping lists to use alternately gave me variation week to week - even now I don't buy mushrooms and tomatoes at the same time. It is just a small thing, but it did seem to make a difference to how I felt about food preparation to have to work different foods into my meals rather than always have the same foods on hand.
Thank you.

Yes I keep lists in my head if what I can eat. They are quite short lists.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @Patrick66 just sending you a big virtual hug and prayers for a better 2019.....this Forum has been a lifeline for me and I trust you find it the same......people here really do care and are cheering you on to success - whatever that looks like for you....Blessings/L

Reactions: Patrick66

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hey @Patrick66 just sending you a big virtual hug and prayers for a better 2019.....this Forum has been a lifeline for me and I trust you find it the same......people here really do care and are cheering you on to success - whatever that looks like for you....Blessings/L
Thank you. That’s very kind.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Yes I keep lists in my head if what I can eat. They are quite short lists.

I wish my memory was that good, I can't trust mine to remember very much, probably because at 66 years of age my memories of the 1960s and 70s is pretty good, or so I think. LOL

I'm attaching a list of the sort of things I can eat, maybe one or two things I would now avoid.

Attachments

• WhatToEat.pdf
    236.7 KB · Views: 172

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I wish my memory was that good, I can't trust mine to remember very much, probably because at 66 years of age my memories of the 1960s and 70s is pretty good, or so I think. LOL

I'm attaching a list of the sort of things I can eat, maybe one or two things I would now avoid.
That’s very kind of you. Glad to see so many things I like eating are low carb. Being quite carnivorous has its blessings.
As does being Autistic. We are quite good at remembering things and when you have so many bad sensory experiences you quickly develop two lists in your brain, the good and nice list and the avoid list.
But thanks again, exceptionally helpful.