For the want of a cup of tea

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm embracing and enjoying a low carb journey and find myself thinking about all the carbs I "waste" in the copious cups of tea with milk I drink across the day. At home I use unsweetened almond milk which is fine as I count it as about 0.5 for two cups. The problem is work. I have several different workplaces and I tend to be in one place for about 3 days then move on and not back for 3 or 4 weeks. The "go to" in most places is semi skimmed and that adds up. I could take the almond milk with me but it only seems to come in big 1 litre cartons and would feel wasteful (asking someone to fetch it from the fridge so I could leave with it at the end of the three days feels weird and embarrasing)
I've spent the last wee while googling coffee creamers etc. and can't find a good fix. Any ideas?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1. A small flask and take it in daily with you to top up black tea at your desk
2. You could always keep it in the fridge in a smaller container and as it’s your own bottle it’s valid to retrieve it when you leave
3. Change to a different drink that doesn’t need milk eg coffee or a herbal tea maybe

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2. You could always keep it in the fridge in a smaller container and as it’s your own bottle it’s valid to retrieve it when you leave
3. Change to a different drink that doesn’t need milk eg coffee or a herbal tea maybe
Thanks @HSSS I've purchased some 250ml empty bottles and a bottle brush and so begins the saga of me leaving smelly milk bottles all over the city.
Option 3 would be ideal but I spent all last week with a bundle of green teabags that never made it out my handbag. Years ago I "trained" myself not to need sugar in tea. I'll have a go at doing the same with milk. Thanks

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Japanese Sencha tea is very nice weak without milk.

Reactions: Margarettt

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm embracing and enjoying a low carb journey and find myself thinking about all the carbs I "waste" in the copious cups of tea with milk I drink across the day. At home I use unsweetened almond milk which is fine as I count it as about 0.5 for two cups. The problem is work. I have several different workplaces and I tend to be in one place for about 3 days then move on and not back for 3 or 4 weeks. The "go to" in most places is semi skimmed and that adds up. I could take the almond milk with me but it only seems to come in big 1 litre cartons and would feel wasteful (asking someone to fetch it from the fridge so I could leave with it at the end of the three days feels weird and embarrasing)
I've spent the last wee while googling coffee creamers etc. and can't find a good fix. Any ideas?
Mrs A, non-diabetic but restricts carbs, uses a small and effective vacuum flask for milk (for tea) when moving around between work locations. Fridge not needed, I get to wash out the flask.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
About 20 years ago, the only milk on offer at work was condensed milk. I have no idea how it tasted in coffee (I have an intolerance to coffee) but I can assure you it is not good in tea.
My only option was condensed milk or no milk. So I went for the no milk option and never looked back.
I prefer "flavoured" black tea like Earl Grey and don't drink it very strong (if I leave it to stew for too long, it goes very bitter) but, even "normal" tea is fine without milk once you acquire the taste and work out what strength suits you.

The only thing to remember is that milk slightly cools the tea so don't drink the boiling water with herbs straight away unless you add a dash of cold water.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs A, non-diabetic but restricts carbs, uses a small and effective vacuum flask for milk (for tea) when moving around between work locations. Fridge not needed, I get to wash out the flask.

I would look for a flask / mug that can go in the dishwasher. :) A mug is easier to clean with it's wide mouth.

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like Mrs A, I purchased a small flask so I can take some double cream with me for coffee when we go out. It’s remarkable how many cafes, restaurants too, don’t have it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Dishwasher safe" - isn't to be trusted. OK for insulated items but I've ruined a couple of vacuum flasks that way. Hand wash for preference.
Agreed. Mr H also takes his own milk in a flask (as they don’t provide any) and I too get the joy of washing it up.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get little milk bottle shaped flasks on Amazon - I have one for when family or friends stay and I put it in their bedroom with a little kettle etc.

To clean a flask that has had milk in rinse it first in cold water (warm water cooks the milk slightly and makes droplets of milk stick to the flask and this is what can make it smell) then just give a few good rinses in very hot water. As long as you clean it every day it will last you years.

To deep clean your flask occasionally just put a teaspoon of bicarb of soda in fill to the top with boiling water and let it steep for couple of hours, then give a good rinse.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. So far today I've burnt my lip ("just the tiniest splash please") and purchased both a set of small bottles then a cute little vacuum flask. This diabetes lark is getting expensive.;)