1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

For those of you who treat Diabetes related depression with antidepressants

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by kaup, Jul 18, 2019.

1. kaup

kaup Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey,

1. How long have you been on antidepressants?

2. Why are you taking them?

3. Do they help?

4. Any side effects?

5. Which antidepressants are you taking?

6. Have you tried any other antidepressants?

7. Why did you decide to take antidepressants?

8. Which other methods have you tried to treat your depression?

• Like Like x 1
  2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello,

1) I was on AD for about two years.
    2) I was taking them because I was in a very dark place after my accident in 2013. I was barely sleeping and I couldn't complete every task for university.
    3) They helped to an extent but the side effects were far too great compared to the benefits of the drug.
    4) Yes, I gained weight, intimacy was not there, dizziness and sleeping far too much - 18-19hrs.
    5) Citalopram
    6) No, I was given a list of sister drugs to citalopram by my GP to research it but I never went back to discuss it again.
    7) AD was prescribed because I have exercised all options left available to deal with my mental health.
    8) Breathing exercises, talking (counselling) and CBT.

3. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Not directly Diabetes related although the diagnosis contributed to a very stressful year last year, starting with my father's accident, stay in care and death a few weeks later. Then it ended with an arson attack on the bungalow next door (our lofts connect).
    I've been on sertraline for 4 months
    Only help a little - my anxiety is still high and it affects sleep.
    Side effects are nasty, and include incontinence which I've never had issues with before. and my total cholesterol and total/non HDL level is up.
    I agreed, reluctantly, to take them for a few months because the waiting time for therapy for PTSD was over 7 months.
    I tried waiting, hoping the reaction was temporary, then had an assessment for therapy, meanwhile I tried a couple of online modules which were no help.

4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi Kaup, is this an issue you're struggling with yourself, or are you researching something here?

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook