Forbidden Fruits !

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Caffeine in coffee (and tea) can raise BG levels too.

Reactions: 3 people

Lissajous

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Leafy greens
Targets for HbA1c are as follows:

• For people without diabetes, the range is 20-41 mmol/mol
    (4-5.9%)
  • For people with diabetes, an HbA1c level of 48 mmol/mol
    (6.5%)
    is considered good control, although some people may prefer their numbers to be closer to that of non-diabetics
  • For people at greater risk of hypoglycemia (lower than normal blood sugar), a target HbA1c of 59 mmol/mol (7.5%) to reduce the risk of hypos
Just a comment here. As an engineer I work with many different systems of units and across countries. The result is that I simply baulk at referring to numbers without also including the units. In fact, very few numbers in this world actually make sense without the units and especially in an online forum where people read from all over the world. Like, I'm in Australia where we are supposedly fully metric. But even that doesn't clarify whether we're referring to percentages, mmol/mol or mmol/litre. So even if you don't personally understand what the units mean, please try to include them for the benefit of others!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Kathryn321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I'm Kathryn. I have type 1 diabetes, but understand many people have pre diabetes which could lead to type 2. Teabags regarding your message above, 5.8 is really good and about average. As Type 1 I aim for about 6.

I'm also a broadcast journalism trainee - and due to my own recent diagnosis I've decided to do my video project based on the study which found a third of UK adults now have pre diabetes.

Would anyone on here be interested in being involved? Maybe its had an effect on your life, positive or negative. Have you managed to turn your life around, change your diet and exercise?

The video will not be on TV - its for assessment purposes as a journalistic feature, and will hopefully advise others with pre diabetes. It would involve a short interview - and I can travel to you. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please reply on here or email [email protected]

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
I have been told by my doctor that I am prediabetes with a HbA1c level of 42.0 mmol/mol, last October when I was tested the level was lower at 39.0 mmol/mol.

I am a 64 year old male vegetarian with none of the usual indicators that show a likelihood of contracting type 2 diabetes. (I am not overweight, have a low BMI of 21, eat a very healthy diet, fairly active, no family history of diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol levels are OK, also a non-smoker). But when I told the doctor that I eat 900 grams of fresh fruit a day, she said that was the reason of the high reading, adding that pineapple and all berries are high in fructose and should be avoided, she suggested apples and bananas as being good for lowering my diabetes risk.

The types of fruit I eat are; pineapple, strawberries, kiwi, grapes, nectarines, raspberries, blueberries, plumbs and apricots. I have looked on various sites dealing with diabetes and there appears to be so much conflicting information that I have no idea what I should do. One site says berries are good, another no good, etc, etc.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction, is it just a case of cutting down on the quantity of fruit I have, (I suppose 900 grams is fairly high),or should I only eat specific fruits?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Bananas are really the worst, especially ripe ones. I eat maybe 1/3 of a banana every so often, but not part of my daily fruits.
Blue/Rasp/Black/strawberries are the best low cab fruits. Melons, cantaloupes and pineapple also very high in sugar. Yes, al
My favorites.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thanks for that, not able to get a doctors appointment today, however, after receiving all of the very helpful information from you and others on this forum, I have decided to leave going to the doctors for now and take control of my own sugar/carb intake. I have sent for a test kit, and based on what has been said here, I will see how different foods effect my readings. I have already started to dramatically reduce the excessive amounts of fruit I have been eating, also, (and I had not previously admitted to this), stop completely eating a Magnum ice cream almost every evening. Thanks again to you all for helping me understand exactly what is required to keep my BG at correct levels.
Try www.dietdoctor.com
I found this website was a life saver.
If you have a food processor, then check this out:

Ice-cream
Per person:
100g frozen berries or cherries
100ml double cream
1tsp sweetner

Blitz berries in food processor till in tiny pieces. Add cream and sweetner. Blitz till ice-cream. You cannot freeze this so eat immediately!