Forbidden Fruits !

Teabags

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been told by my doctor that I am prediabetes with a HbA1c level of 42.0 mmol/mol, last October when I was tested the level was lower at 39.0 mmol/mol.

I am a 64 year old male vegetarian with none of the usual indicators that show a likelihood of contracting type 2 diabetes. (I am not overweight, have a low BMI of 21, eat a very healthy diet, fairly active, no family history of diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol levels are OK, also a non-smoker). But when I told the doctor that I eat 900 grams of fresh fruit a day, she said that was the reason of the high reading, adding that pineapple and all berries are high in fructose and should be avoided, she suggested apples and bananas as being good for lowering my diabetes risk.

The types of fruit I eat are; pineapple, strawberries, kiwi, grapes, nectarines, raspberries, blueberries, plumbs and apricots. I have looked on various sites dealing with diabetes and there appears to be so much conflicting information that I have no idea what I should do. One site says berries are good, another no good, etc, etc.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction, is it just a case of cutting down on the quantity of fruit I have, (I suppose 900 grams is fairly high),or should I only eat specific fruits?

Any help would be really appreciated.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi

The general rule for diabetics - and presumably prediabetics also - is to stick with non-tropical fruit, berries especially, and avoid tropical fruits. I'm surprised your GP said bananas were good, they're loaded with sugar.

You mention you eat a very healthy diet, what does that typically contain? We also have to be very careful with carbohydrates and eat no or very little bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc.

The only way for an individual to be sure however is to test your own blood sugar before and after eating to see what spikes and what you can tolerate. If you are prediabetic it's best to take any necessary action now and nip it in the bud.

Reactions: 11 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, I am astounded at what your doctor said regarding the type of fruit to eat and to avoid. Bananas are one of the worst as Sanguine says, all sugar and almost as soon as they are in your mouth the sugar is entering your system. That is why you see top tennis players eating them between games, to give them a quick energy boost. Most of us on this forum find raspberries, strawberries and blueberries are fine if eaten in small portions with yogurt or cream rather than alone. In fact it is better to eat all fruits as part of a meal rather than as a snack, and also the less ripe the better.

Reactions: 7 people

Teabags

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Sanguine and Bluetit, that information has helped a lot, that said, as a vegetarian, no meat, fish or fowl, I tend to eat quite a lot of pasta, rice and spuds, also, do not eat yogurt or cream, like my fruit plain, as for bread, four slices of wholemeal each lunch with cheese and a large portion of baby plum tomatoes. So by the looks of it, there is not a lot left for me to eat. I am going to the doctors tomorrow to ask for more information and also discuss testing myself to see what foods work and more importantly, those that don't. I want to do all I can prevent me becoming diabetic, thanks again to you both for taking the time to reply, it is really appreciated, and good luck to you both in lowering your risk.

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you will have no problems at all to normalise your bg as your current diet seems to be extremely high in carbs. If you cut down on the amount of fruit and eat vegetables instead, there are a lot of very nice vegetable fruit too and have some berries instead of lots of sugary fruit I am sure this would help. The biggest change for your blood glucose would be if you cut out rice, bread and potatoes.

Best way to take control of things is to get a bg meter and test before and after meals.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are loads of vegetarians on this forum who manage very well on a low carb diet. Have a browse round the forums and maybe start a thread on vegetarian low carb suggestions.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Good luck with your doctors visit today. You may find some resistance to suggestions of a low carb diet as this goes against current NICE guidance (which for us is sooooo wrong). Many don't even like us testing ourselves. Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: 5 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Sanguine and Bluetit, that information has helped a lot, that said, as a vegetarian, no meat, fish or fowl, I tend to eat quite a lot of pasta, rice and spuds, also, do not eat yogurt or cream, like my fruit plain, as for bread, four slices of wholemeal each lunch with cheese and a large portion of baby plum tomatoes. So by the looks of it, there is not a lot left for me to eat. I am going to the doctors tomorrow to ask for more information and also discuss testing myself to see what foods work and more importantly, those that don't. I want to do all I can prevent me becoming diabetic, thanks again to you both for taking the time to reply, it is really appreciated, and good luck to you both in lowering your risk.
Consider coconut cream also try and use coconut oil (as brilliant vegetarian fat)

Teabags

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your doctors visit today. You may find some resistance to suggestions of a low carb diet as this goes against current NICE guidance (which for us is sooooo wrong). Many don't even like us testing ourselves. Let us know how you get on.
Thanks for that, not able to get a doctors appointment today, however, after receiving all of the very helpful information from you and others on this forum, I have decided to leave going to the doctors for now and take control of my own sugar/carb intake. I have sent for a test kit, and based on what has been said here, I will see how different foods effect my readings. I have already started to dramatically reduce the excessive amounts of fruit I have been eating, also, (and I had not previously admitted to this), stop completely eating a Magnum ice cream almost every evening. Thanks again to you all for helping me understand exactly what is required to keep my BG at correct levels.

Reactions: 7 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Olives are good.
I also eat berries as others have said.
I can only manage quarter of an apple.
I tend to have a chunk of cucumber or some celery as an alternative to fruit.

Good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Why do you think some people can tolerate fruit well..especially berries which seem very popular, and yet some people can't? I am only prediabetic but I get my highest readings if I eat berries...even with yoghurt. I feel I need fruit for good nutrition but am almost afraid to eat any now.

Reactions: 4 people

Teabags

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"SJC, post: 568926, member: 108294"]Why do you think some people can tolerate fruit well..especially berries which seem very popular, and yet some people can't? I am only prediabetic but I get my highest readings if I eat berries...even with yoghurt. I feel I need fruit for good nutrition but am almost afraid to eat any now.[/QUOTE]
So you are in the same position as me, trying to ensure that diabetes does not start. I have received my BG monitor this morning, now I need to find out how to use the thing, when to test, etc. I think of all yhe foods I eat, fruit is by far my favourite, I have now reduced my consumption to about a quarter of the amount I used to have. I will start testing in the morning, the first one before I eat, then throughout the day as I eat various foods.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I was only having around 8 blueberries OR 8 raspberries with yoghurt but the BG readings were my highest. It put me off completely. I am trying half a pear soon to see what that does. I can tolerate half an apple but I don't like apples! :(

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was only having around 8 blueberries OR 8 raspberries with yoghurt but the BG readings were my highest. It put me off completely. I am trying half a pear soon to see what that does. I can tolerate half an apple but I don't like apples! :(

How long after did you test, and what was the reading before and after?

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
How long after did you test, and what was the reading before and after?
Haven't got my book with me, but it was high 6s low 7s, which may not sound a lot, but I rarely go above the low 6s with a big meal. It seemed to still be high three hours later too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just my opinion, but you know those readings are normal, so why on earth would you fret about it and deprive your body of the nutrients the fruit gives you? You have to have a balance, and non-diabetics go above 7, even above 8, after eating. It's just that they come down again, and presumably you did come down again, not that you had far to come down! Maybe you should relax a bit. You are being too hard on yourself. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Just my opinion, but you know those readings are normal, so why on earth would you fret about it and deprive your body of the nutrients the fruit gives you? You have to have a balance, and non-diabetics go above 7, even above 8, after eating. It's just that they come down again, and presumably you did come down again, not that you had far to come down! Maybe you should relax a bit. You are being too hard on yourself. :rolleyes:

I needed to hear that so thanks :) Been trying to stay out of the 7s, but I must admit, sometimes I don't test everything so I could be anyway! I tend to test FBG, lunch and dinner most of the time. Occasionally I will test a snack depending on how many strips I have.

You know what it's like? Doc tells you you have prediabetes and that unless you change your diet etc you are highly likely to develop diabetes. I just don't want to get diabetes. Know it's not the end of the world but I have so many other physical problems that the thought concerns me greatly. I believe the general concensus is that you treat prediabetes like diabetes diet wise; that way you are more likely not to develop the full blown condition.

Reactions: 9 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I agree with you SJC. You must treat your pre-diabetes the same as you would full blown type 2, but please remember you are doing really well, and there is nothing wrong with being in the mid to low 7's after eating for type 2's. Your doctor will be pleased with you next time you see him.

Teabags

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As previously mentioned my doctor has said I am prediabetic, I have just done my first test, 2 hours after lunch, 5.8 mmo/l, trouble is, I have no idea what that reading means.