Forced fast for over 24hours how to stop hypo

Vancleak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having to go to hospital for a Colonoscopy & gastrocopy at the same session starting at 10.30 am. Previouse day no food after 9am start Klean-prep at 12 noon & again at1 800 only clear fluids can be taken untill after procedures next day starting at 10.30 am & they say could be , with waits & recouvery between treaments another 5 hours before any food allowed!! I am type 2 & when tesing my sugars drop below 5 I start feeling woozy at 4 I am gone! what can I drink to keep blood sugars up all this time to stop having a hypo ?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
What medication are you on for your type 2?

Have you been told to stop taking it by your doctor? If not I would ask. If you are not taking medication that can cause a hypo then you shouldn't hypo. If you are worried about this then talk to your gp or nurse

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would ring the hospital. They have specific guidance for diabetics for each procedure. I had both a leaflet and a discussion with their diabetic nurse before my knee op.

Ali

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I've had those tests many times and had to take the horrible 'Picolax' laxative and whilst I had to fast with clear liquids(This was before diagnosis) the paperwork included a pre-test menu for diabetics which included what they called 'White foods' which meant the day before the test you could eat boiled eggs,white toast,cooked chicken,clear soups,jelly sweets and normal jelly-not great but it meant at least you didn't have to fast being a diabetic.
On a lighter note they told me I could still have a couple of Vodka/Gin and tonics the day before as they were clear fluids and wouldn't affect the test! :lol:
But seriously though,when it comes to the laxative make sure to drink loads of fluids as I got VERY dehydrated due to the amount of loose motions that the Picolax provokes and wet toilet wipes are a godsend too!

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had it done in my pre diabetes days, Picolax - bleurgh!!!! I second Paulie, drink lots and plenty of soothing creams for the botty lol.

Ali

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Also to reassure the OP...
Both tests when you are sedated are fine as I don't remember any of them apart from waking up afterwards for Tea and toast in the endoscopy suite ward and apart from feeling tired all day afterwards there was no ill affects apart from farting!! :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
they should cover all of this in your pre- procedure check.
What is your usual BG? feeling hypo at 5 suggests you are running "high"
Hana