landylara

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Driving.
Hi everyone.
Just wondering if this happens to anyone else. Tonight I have some how forgotten if I've taken my night time insulin (levemir). I've had type one diabetes for 18 years now, and I've barely ever forgotten, but sometimes it just happens. Wondering what to do? I don't want to obviously give myself too much in case I've already had some, but also don't wanna not take any because I wake up with sky high blood sugars!
Are there any pens out there that can prevent this? Thanks! Bad diabetic alert ‍♀️♀️
yes i have forgotten mine on occasion i check the next day and if higher than normal then i know i've definitely forgotten it.

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Chloesnavy

Sorry to join this post so late - but I had exactly the same issue; taking insulin becomes so routine, it's easy to forget whether you took it.

I got the Timesulin cap, which has been mentioned above, which is great for telling when you last took your last insulin - however, there have been a few times where I've taken my insulin and doubted exactly how much I'd taken. I found a simple way to resolve both issues - now, after I click the appropriate number of units, I just take a photo of the insulin pen with my phone, right before injecting - so if there's any doubt, I can see exactly when I took it, and how much. Hope that helps!

SpudBovill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been a type 1 diabetic for 46 years & yes one can forget ones injections. Easily done. I had a wooden stand made with 4 holes drilled in it enabling my injections to stand upright in them. I place my novorapid in the first hole which is breakfast then once used move it into the second hole for lunch & then supper. The other end hole is used for my Levemir & remains there all day until used in the evening when I then lay it down on the table & replace it into its hole the following morning. Sounds difficult but it gives me piece of mind & I can see at a glance if I have or have not had my injection. Hope this helps.

SpudBovill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m querying how much insulin one should take if no lunch is eaten? I’m a type 1 on NovoRapid & Levemir

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m querying how much insulin one should take if no lunch is eaten? I’m a type 1 on NovoRapid & Levemir

Your Levemir is your basal, so you take your dose no matter what. The only caveat is if you are eating less generally your basal needs can go down, so you might need to adjust your dose accordingly. NovoRapid is only taken for corrections and food, so if you aren't eating you wouldn't take it unless your blood sugar is high and you need to lower it.