1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Forgetting if I took insulin?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Chloesnavy, May 4, 2017.

1. Chloesnavy

Chloesnavy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi everyone.
    Just wondering if this happens to anyone else. Tonight I have some how forgotten if I've taken my night time insulin (levemir). I've had type one diabetes for 18 years now, and I've barely ever forgotten, but sometimes it just happens. Wondering what to do? I don't want to obviously give myself too much in case I've already had some, but also don't wanna not take any because I wake up with sky high blood sugars!
    Are there any pens out there that can prevent this? Thanks! Bad diabetic alert ‍♀️‍♀️

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MH2010

MH2010 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The novopen echo has a function on it that tells you how ling since you last injected, might be worth seeing about getting one of them.

• Like Like x 4
  3. steve_p6

steve_p6 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Or Novopen 4 if you take over 30u in a shot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. EllsKBells

EllsKBells Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There is this

https://timesulin.com/

Which I am actually quite tempted by.

I have also found it helpful to do my long acting at a set time - 11pm for me. I went through a phase where I was really, really bad at remembering, or worse, taking the wrong one. You aren't a bad diabetic - I don't believe there is any such thing - just human.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Type1Bri

Type1Bri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dodo

Dodo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

After so many years of injecting it does get difficult to remember whether you have or not. The Novopen Echo is great for my bolus but with my basal I also have a set time of 11 pm.

7. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The Novopen 5 has a memory function, you pull the plunger/twisty bit out and in again, on the end the LCD screen displays the number of units last dosed and a circular bar graph showing how long ago it was, up to 12 hours - I did 13 units 3hours ago just looking at mine. The echo pen is the same but has half unit measures for dosing. A life saver for those times when your mind goes blank and you can't remember! Comes in a selection of colours to avoid confusion over basal and bolus pens - ask your clinic for 3, in different colours, bolus and basal and a spare!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

These gadgets are great for the future.
    However, if I forget if I have taken my basal tonight, what is the best thing to do?
    Stay up with regular BG checks and measure whether fasting BG rises?
    If it does, I guess you can assume you definitely forgot your basal. Do you take it later? I guess if you do, you need to take into consideration that Lantus lasts 24 hours so don't take it too early tomorrow?
    Or is there another approach?

9. not-so-lucky

not-so-lucky Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use an app called Sugr on my iphone to track everything at the moment as my memory is terrible

10. JacquiMorrison

JacquiMorrison Type 1 · Active Member

Agree. If I forget my Lantus basal I take it as soon as I remember and just continue my normal times for injections the next day - it does mean I need to monitor my sugars more to prevent sugars falling within the next day. However I think I would prefer monitoring it more than try to calculate to take less or try to keep pushing my sugars low with continuous bolus until it's time for basal again

11. JacquiMorrison

JacquiMorrison Type 1 · Active Member

I found this brilliant. Only thing is I kept forgetting to use it

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. maria030660

maria030660 · Well-Known Member

I use the sugar app and it's great and you can see your whole history and also print it out when you have an appointment with your doctor or nurse

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @steve_p6; would you be so kind as to elaborate on this for me?

14. steve_p6

Typo i meant NovoPen 5 which will do up to 60u, the echo only does up to 30u per shot.

15. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@steve_p6, I've wasted a whole afternoon looking for a secret function in my Novopen4 that I never knew existed;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Jordi77

Jordi77 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use the novopen 5 in both colours plus a spare set and the way I remember is via setting alarms on my phone and on my blood meter so that I can remember and the dose I took which is a lot better than the novopen 4 which I have in blue and silver and are around £62 -£63 on ebay

17. steve_p6

@GrantGam you never said you wanted to know the secret function! :banghead:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. niccidoodle

niccidoodle Type 1 · Member

I had that same problem so i told my consultant and he prescribed me a novopen 5 with a memory

19. Ambersilva

Ambersilva Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use the Insulcheck device. It is triggered as you inject. I find that it is very reliable and Customer Support is very good.

20. maria030660

maria030660 · Well-Known Member

ambersilva youre irristable..;)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook